UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757894  
Subject: R'd Firefighter Now On "FIRE" Himself Date: 5/3/2001 8:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
Jack is about my age. I had his two wonderful kids in school a few years ago. He was a firefighter for 23 years. He's employed by our high school now as director of in-school suspension. He's making $7-8 an hour and couldn't be happier while dealing with some of our less-than-stellar urchins on a daily basis. Longtime firefighters, I think, have a no-nonsense approach to life in general. Their own lives, in many cases, depended on good judgement and following rules. Jack demands that of the kids he supervises. He's called "director," but in actuality, he's "it." In one room, it's Jack and: the smokers, the insubordinates, the truants, the fighters, the pass-forgers,..et al.

I asked him one day about the coats and ties he seems to wear 3 days a week. He laughed, saying he was making up for all those years wearing heavy, smoky firefighter garb and not being able to go to church half the time to wear his "good stuff," which he says he's just now getting around to wearing. He says a lot of it just looks new and winks. He gets teased a lot because some of his sartorial splendor doesn't seem commensurate with the "dirty" job he does. He enjoys this.

How did Jack catch FIRE? In true Millionnaire Next Door fashion, he took a calculated risk a few years before he R'd from the fire dept. He opened a video store and caught the VCR-tape rental craze just right. This scared him, he said, but once he thought the trend would become a mainstay, he plunged. Nothing big, but he was only the 2nd video rental outlet in our town of 32,000. It was a true Mom 'n Pop. He did this for several years, R'ing from firefighting right on schedule with his full pension and health insurance.

Then, the inevitable happened. Blockbuster and two other national chains came to "sniff." They liked the smell they caught. Jack had his ear to the ground. Two of them opened. Jack's trade slacked. He put in an ice cream fountain which helped carry him for a while. Then B-buster bought a prime piece of ground near the mall. The Grim Reaper of Video spoke to Jack. Unfortunately, the Reaper spoke at about the same time that our town's main drag was going to be widened from 2 to 4 lanes. Many flailing businesses flailed their last. Jack's "down time" during construction was the end of him. He closed, but....he kept his small store and grounds. Once the 4 lanes were completed, traffic would really be heavy...someone might be interested.

The widening project, due to good weather, finished well in advance of the anticipated completiion date. Century 21 liked the location and came calling. In fact, several businesses wanting exposure to the constant heavy traffic banged his door. Century 21 won what Jack called "a bidding war" and razed the building. I don't know Jack well enough to ask him what he got, but he himself volunteered, "I did very well." His money is "in the banks." He said he "feels better" not exceeding FDIC coverage at any one bank. Umm Hmm.

He's the "fireman who caught FIRE," you might say, caught in a "blaze" he admits he couldn't foresee just a few short years ago. Some risk, some elbow grease, and some foresight allow him to come to a job a lot of us wouldn't have up our whazoos: a job he loves. At least I can't fall through a roof here," he jokes. --241

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement