Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Question regarding an employers contrib (matching or otherwise) to your 401k...

I have heard that after some criteria(company service time ?) is met that the IRS has ruled that Company 401k plans must allow employees to roll over (to an IRA/Roth) some/all of that portion of their 401h which is locked up in the companies stock..This would be simular to a regular roll-over but this would be initiated _before_ you left the company...

Usually employer contribs are locked up in the companies stock and the IRS's contention is that having a significant amount of your retirement in an individual stock is more risky ... esp near retirement.

??? Does anyone have ANY information on this ???

i am assuming that the criteria would be after so many years with the company... say 10, 15 or 20...

I searched the IRS's web site for info on this and cannot find anything.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.