Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: Should I Really Join Facebook? Date: 9/11/2012 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
re: Facebook for Seniors

My 86 y.o. MIL uses Facebook and keeps up with family and with friends she and her late husband met during their many motorhome caravan trips across the country. She was also a nurse cadet during WWII and she participates in some long-term Harvard nurses study, so she has a pretty good network.

She started using a computer in about 1997 after broadly hinting that she wouldn't mind receiving any computer we might be getting rid of. Teaching her was hilarious and frustrating as h3ll. The mouse nearly did us all in, but she's a pro now.

ChiliSpouse has some program he uses to log into her computer remotely when she screws something up. He's told her repeatedly to never, ever do anything, not one single thing, the 80 or 90 y.o. self-style computer gurus tell her to do, but sometimes they talk her into it and CS has to do a remote repair.

She now also has a 10-inch Samsung Galaxy S2 wireless tablet that she loves, Garmin GPS for the car and really, really wants a smartphone to replace her dumb cellphone, but we've drawn the line there. The keys are too small and we agree she doesn't need to surf the net on a phone when she has a PC and a tablet. The Garmin is easier to read than Google Maps on a cellphone, too.

She may still get the smartphone. Who knows? The woman still teaches line dancing and a daily exercise class.

When Michael J. Fox was asked if he tweeted, he said, "No, but I twitch."

Chili
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement