UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dcunited Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: IRA choices for YOUNG investor ??? Date: 2/13/1998 11:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"It was my impression that minors NEEDED a custodial account since they were NOT allowed to own securities in their own name. How could a 17 year old be listed as the owner of stock?"

>>>> Not according to Waterhouse. I filled out the forms with my daughter's name and signature. They could see her birthdate made her a minor, but they processed it as a regular IRA. My guess is that custodial accounts require some sort of UGMA or trust legal framework, both of which are incompatible with the IRA framework. Maybe TMF Pixy can help us out on this.<<<<

"So, dcunited, you are going to leave the 97 IRA alone with its contribution, and not roll it into a Roth? Or are you planning to stay with the traditional IRA format?"

No, I expect to roll it into a Roth, given that my daughter is in the 15 percent bracket now, and will likely remain there for the next 3-4 years when the tax payments for the Roth conversion come due. It's reasonable to assume her withdrawals at retirement will be taxed at a higher bracket rate, so that argues in favor of conversion. Of course, there is still the problem of trying to project what the tax structure might look like 50 years from now, and how that might affect the tax advantages of the Roth over the conventional IRA. Haven't figured that one out yet. :-)

The biggest question in my mind is: should I have her declare her '97 IRA as deductible or non-deductible. I guess it won't make much difference taxwise, and she could take the full deduction immediately, while paying it back over 4 years, getting in effect an interest-free loan from Uncle Sam. What are you planning to do on this?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement