Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
don't forget state sponsored education trusts. tax deferred with tax exemptions from state income taxes for qualified disbursments (as long as money is used for education expenses). parents, grandparents, relatives can gift money to trust within certain CT. unlimited per year up to a lifetime limit of $100,000. per account. $'s can be transferred from one sibling to another. not available in all states but worth a look if offered in yours. performance is typically conservative- but hey- that's not always a bad thing! consider holding $'s in more aggressive companies until closer to need and then transfering $'s to one of these accounts and get the tax break.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.