Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: oncqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8074  
Subject: Re: Why should we care? Date: 10/3/2006 7:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
RE: Nothing against the leader or the Fool, but what good is this to me? If we could somehow find actual companies to buy I'd be excited, but I can't figure how this can make me money.

Dear Tom,

I don't think you SHOULD necessarily care so much about the "gamesmanship" aspect that seems so prevalent in recent posts, and can be off-putting (There are people who have put in a LOT of time on this, and so naturally may be very invested in the best ways to measure score, etc).

BUT I very much think that this thing can be used to make money!! And I think that the magazine write up (link a few posts back), that suggests that a bunch of Fools could never come up with anything better than "professional" analysts, is off track. Here's why:

While it is true that some will pick by "piling on" TMF Eldrehad's coattails, some will be beginners, and some will just lob darts at the stock pages, there will be 2 kinds of folks who will emerge that I plan to follow. One will be those who are scary good overall at valuation, timing, and knowing when the "herd instinct" is wrong. The other particularly interests me: insiders in a particular industry (not company), who know that biz and will spot things that are taking off. With their knowledge of whatever business they are in, they will be able to tell what is going to be "real world good" and what is over-hyped. I look on this as a very deep "hidden gem mine." (I love Hidden Gems but there are only so many of them per issue).

I know nothing about oil or computers or fashion, but I am darned good in my field and can tell what has widespread application and staying power, what is an "also-ran," and what is "gee-whiz" but will only have minimal use because the disease is rare. My area doesn't scare me because it's WHAT I DO every day. Doubtless, there are CAPsters out there with similar skills in all areas, and THAT is what is going to give CAPs the "last laugh" on those who wrote the negative piece referenced.

My real-world plan is to troll through the little-rated stocks, read the pitches, and research more the ones with useful pitches from those who seem to have knowledge of that industry. I'll collect my own panel of "insiders" as I go. I'm not gonna blindly risk real cash just on a CAPs rec, but it's sure going to be a starting point for new ideas.

THAT's why I care! Don't get turned off by the whole rating system!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement