Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
RE - Pharma. I`ve read some thoughts from Buffett on the pharma industry it seems he prefers the larger companies that dominate in vaccines as this is a far more stable area of the market. Ie Glaxo. I`m interesting in your thoughts on value destruction through generics, patent expiry, and research costs. In general is it a sector to avoid like tech? It is certainly outside my circle of competence to predict. However there are some attractive opportunities around such as Astrazeneca and Eli Lilly with stable / growing earnings trading on single digit PERs, earnings visibility is not so clear

The biggest concern I have that keeps me from investing in pharma is the threat that as the U.S. goes broke due to the impossibly-high costs of Medicare/Medicain, it becomes fairly likely that they will institute some form of price controls on the industry. I don't have numbners to prove this, but I suspect that since the U.S. is the only big nation that doesn' have government-forced price controls on medications, that the lion's share of profits for the industry comes from US. So when we jump on board with the rest, pharma is going to be in a tough spot. Of course no one wants to wipe them out, but they will push them to mediocre profitability.

There are enough problems trying to find businesses that can achieve and sustain above-average profitability in a free market. To me, it's just not worth the bother/risk to also have to factor in massive governmental interference.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement