UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753348  
Subject: Re: How much needed to bail out? Date: 2/6/2000 9:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Re: post 3186 by FoolMeOnce

As someone who successfully retired 4 years ago at age 38 with a wife and four kids, I think having a magic number is COMPLETELY necessary.

If current USA statisics are accurate, only 2% of individuals and 4% of American families have a net worth of $1M or more. Much of this net worth is tied up in costly real estate and businesses that require the "millionare" to continue to work like a madman.

Thus, the potential early-retiree continually finds that he never has enough to get out of the rat race. In the meantime, the clock is ticking.

Retiring early is like shooting a gun, if you don't have a target or your target is always moving around, you'll never pull the trigger and you'll never retire.

For the 99.99% of us that are not filthy rich, the key to retiring early is mainly a funcion of COSTS.

Before I retired, I used to have the same worry of "is it big enough?" Luckily, I have several real-life early retired friends who patiently assured me that what I had was indeed "big enough".

Looking back, I probably could have retired 3 or 4 years earlier than I did. I delayed "pulling the trigger" torturing myself and my family with the same questions many of you have.

In summary, retiring early is simply function of cost control and having a reasonable nest-egg goal to cover those costs. Think of it as jumping off the high-dive for the first time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement