Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Grakf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 213627  
Subject: Re: Tesco Date: 11/19/2011 4:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Re Tesco / Walmart and international markets.

I read in the news that Tesco pulled out of Japan, while Walmart are still there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/31/tesco-japan-p...

This is one example of why I prefer Walmart over Tesco.

The whole question of retail overseas is an interesting one,

Safeway in the UK and British Retailers failing in the US for the example. I wonder how long it will be before Tesco pull out of CA with their Fresh and Easy Brand, I went round a few last year and they seemed to be adopting a self service smaller retail format which is new to the market. The stores seemed very empty.

To the future............

China and India is the major play for the next 10 years. I understand that Walmart has c250 stores in china already and rapidly growing and India are becoming more relaxed to over seas competition. Other retailers come and go, Walmart sticks around rolls its sleeves up and makes it work taking the longer term view to growth and profitability rather than cost cutting.

As long as they can maintain market share domestically and grow in emerging economies and service the massive growing middle class worldwide the mature markets will eventually take care of themselves through being slightly cheaper than everyone else. this is very relevant in this time of austerity and cutbacks.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I also own Best Buy

What are your thoughts on the quality of this company? They recently pulled out of their big box format here in the UK to concentrate on domestic markets and faster growing overseas markets eg china. Do you rate their prospects for long term international growth?

China and a JV with Five Star seems to be their main focus for the next 10 years having reviewed their business plan presentation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-22/best-buy-s-china-st...

They shut their own branded stores in china as here in the UK and will focus on rolling out the local brand.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement