Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Re the standard deduction, irasmilo's right, as usual. In fact, I have a friend who asserts that you will come out way ahead if you take the standard deduction in alternate years, shifting as many deductible-type expenses to the other years. That is, make no charitable contributions in even years, and twice as many in odd years. Pay no state taxes in even years, and twice as much in odd years. Likewise property taxes. Ok, you may wind up paying the odd penalty here and there, but allegedly you'll recoup that with higher average deductions. This sounds loony to me, and I've never tried to work out the details, not do I want the hassle (and possible jail time every other year). But still, it's nice to see that there are some original thinkers out there...
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.