Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Re: Trading from Overseas:

I look forward to whatever advice you get on this topic, but I can tell you my experience from living/working overseas for >3 years.

We were advices that the (now $75K) dollar "exclusion" only applied to "earned income", and so continued to pay cap gains taxes when they were incurred. Plus you gotta check with the locality you actually reside in whether or not your income is really free from local taxes.

You sound like you want to live in US, but trade from a Cayman account. Even if that is possible, it sure sounds like it will not benefit from the 'foreign income exclusion' which requires that you establish primary residence overseas from Jan 1 - Dec 31 of the tax year in question, or else actually remain outside the US for >335 of the preceeding 365 calendar days.

Good luck !
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.