Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sazeracked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 401  
Subject: Reaching for trouble Date: 11/10/2006 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Let's not discuss why, shall we, but I saw an episode of Desperate Housewives.

OK, let's discuss why. I'm in design, and I like to check out shows like that especially for the sets. I like to see what the set designers think are valid versions of typical American suburban living. Plus, with this particular show, the storyline is pretty good, and some of the women are pretty but not in that oversexed Baywatch way (and I suppose some of the men are pretty too). But mainly, I like the weave of American suburban decor into the camp gothic horror storyline. I like this because suburban decor generally horrifies me, though I suppose it sounds arrogant to say that--it's just a matter of taste---and for me the decor dovetails with the camp storyline. And I suspect the set decor and camp storyline also horrifies the show's writers and set designers too, and invites everyone in on the same joke, over and over: "It's outrageous, sure, but is it too close for comfort too?"

Anyway, let's not discuss why I watch the show, after all. It can only lead to us discussing the wrong thing.

The point I wanted to make here is that the storyline involved a bottle of, I believe, Ten High, a pint flask of the stuff. A young high school couple were at a K-martish market and the male used the female as a mule, packing a pint of Ten High into her backpack, which fell out when she got out to the cashier, busting them both.

To top it off, I think--if I recall correctly--an adult (I think it was Felicity Huffman, who is quite an amazing actor) chastised the young woman for poor choice of liquor. That was a ringing non-endorsement of a product, even for a hip show.

All in all, I'd say, a perfect touch, with all the camp set decorating and double-camp story. I recently read something at a blog that said it all: "When you reach for Ten High, you're reaching for trouble!"

Best to you,

Saz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement