No. of Recommendations: 0
Read most of that book. I was not impressed. It seemed to be an infomercial for his service. I learned a little, but not much. And one or two of his major "rules" seem flawed to me.

I characterise the book as a 10-15 page SSRN-type paper puffed out to 200+ pages. But it wasn't written for somebody who already knows a lot about preferreds.

From what I've seen, the price of good preferreds from a solid company doesn't fluctuate much.

From what I've seen, the price of a preferred fluctuates like a bond-- moves inverse to interest rate moves. And goes to hell in a financial panic like 2008-2009. I made some good money in that panic.

if the price went down too far for my liking, I'm not forced to sell. I can just sit with it and continue to get the nice yield.

Yes, which is contrary to what the poster I responded to wanted. He was looking for yield until he wanted to buy stocks. Which means he couldn't wait (if he wanted to buy the stocks.)

Actually, I do what you said, in my money that's in preferreds. Collect the fixed dividend and never intend to sell. Alas, problem is that my best preferreds get called.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement