Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear Fellow Fools!

I think I already have my answer but would like confirmation from another source.

I live in Texas and am selling a vacant lot in Florida which has more than doubled in value in the past 4 years. I am projecting between a $158K to$154K profit which is subject to Cap Gains tax at a 20% rate. According to my estimates that means I will have a $30K+ tax debt on the property sale.

My basic question is this - Is there anyway I can claim the lot as a residence in order to avoid the Cap Gains? Intended use for the lot was a retirement home for some years down the road.(But life threw me a huge curve ball & he got the house & I got the lot. So my personal investments in real estate no longer include a dwelling.)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I have read & read until I am blue in the face and cannot find my situation anywhere.

Blessings, debbi
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.