Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Corrigo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 202227  
Subject: Re: Letter to the SEC Date: 12/30/2002 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Really great job, Rodger. I'm on my way to work and don't have much time, but a few things I noticed . . .

-------------------------

. . . by focusing the board of directors' attention on . . .

. . . because the Proposal is not binding on the board of directors or on Apple . . .

*Caps on “B” and “D.” (Maybe do a search to make sure you catch all these.)

. . . does not request that the Board of Directors place unnecessary restrictions . . .

*Should be “places.” (You have used “Board of Directors” as a singular elsewhere.)

. . . use of the share repurchase program will be necessary in order to protect shareholders interests . . .

. . . As long as management demonstrates that it is acting in the shareholders best interests and presents . . .

. . . The Proposal seeks to focus the Board's attention on this issue and ensure that the Company's and shareholders interests are being served . . .

*Insert the apostrophe after “shareholders.” (You have used plural possessive elsewhere.)

. . . The Proposal is not intended to be "binding" on the Company. It has been written as a "request" for the board of directors to take a series of action that shareholders believe would be beneficial to the Company and its shareholders . . .

*Caps on “B” and “D.” “Action” should be “actions” (plural).

. . . then the Board of Directors would be acting within their rights . . .

*Should be “its” rights.

. . . would not be considered to be excludable because the proposals would transcend the day-to-day business matters."" In this case . . .

*Delete the extra quotation mark.

. . . Worldcom . . .

*Cap “C.”

-----------------------

. . . from short term price fluctuations . . .

. . . insiders can cause short term fluctuations in the share price it presents . . .

. . . best serves their own short term interests while failing to serve the long term interests of shareholders . . .

. . . rather than for the short term benefit of the individuals running the repurchase program . . .

*Hyphenate “short-term” and “long-term.”

-----------------------

. . . a desire of many shareholders that the Board of Directors take action to ensure . . .

*Should be “takes.”

-----------------------

. . . Under the terms of the Proposal, management's decision making process does not need to be changed. Management can present the matters that effect their decision making process to the Board . . .

*Hyphenate decision-making. Also, I believe you want “affect” here.

-----------------------

. . . management's potential abuses of conflicts of interesst. If the . . .

*Delete the second “s.”

-----------------------

. . . At least 4 of Apple's top VPs, including the Company's CFO, each received 1,000,000 shares worth of options to repurchase stock. These VPs will likely profit by an additional $1,000,000 for every $1 that Apple's share price falls as a result of suspending the repurchase program in the months prior to the grant. No shares were sold by vice presidents during Q3 2001 . . .

*You have used “vice presidents” instead of “VPs” everywhere else. Also, add closing period after Q3 2001.

-----------------------

. . .The cases cited all are all from 1983 . . .

*Delete the first “all.”

. . . In summary, the Proposal neither seeks to "micro-manage" the company, nor does it probe into matters "upon which shareholders, as a group, would not be in a positions to make an informed judgement."

*Delete the “s” and the “e.” (You have used “judgment” elsewhere.)

. . . Shareholders as a group may not be in a position to make informed judgements regarding the a company's daily business operations . . .

*Delete the “e” and the “a.”

. . . in its current form may justifiably be omited from Apple's 2003 . . .

*Should be omitted.

I don't believe Apple's managers has done anything illegal.

*Should be “have.”

. . . shareholders to protect themselves from the conflict of interest I have described . . .

*I believe you want this to be “conflicts” (plural) of interest, based on the rest of your summary.

This is a really quick hit—I hope it make sense and is helpful.

Best,

Corrigo
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement