UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tigemac Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127715  
Subject: Realtor Question: For Sale or Rent? Date: 7/9/2005 8:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

Our realtor is acting as a buying agent on our new home (2.8% commission). He is also offering to sell our existing house for a discounted rate of 1% commission.

My wife and I are purchasing our new home with no house-to-sell contingency. We are under contract on our new home and close on the 22nd of July. Our realtor is coming Monday to discuss listing our existing home.

My wife and I are thinking it may be a good idea to keep our option open for renting (or doing a lease-option) on our existing home while it's being listed by our realtor for sale.

What we would like to know is if this is a normal thing to do and if any realtors commonly allow this for their clients? The thing we are concerned with is having our realtor invest his time in trying to sell the property and if we find a renter before he can sell it we may have to take that option due to our financial situation in the new home.

Basically, we do not want to be in a situation 4 months from now with our home still for sale. We would either like to rent it or sell it in a one or two month period if at all possible.

Any thoughts on how to handle this matter with our realtor so that it doesn't become a sticky situation? We definitely will be discussing this with him Monday in advance of him listing the house. Just need to know specifics on how this usually works and if most realtors are open to the idea...

Thanks,

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement