UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Shawny Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Rearranging 2 IRAs and a SEP IRA Date: 2/24/1999 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello All!

I am in the current situation:

I have to regular IRAs with a combination of about $2,000 in them.

I also have a SEP IRA that I set up when I was self-employed. I've got an employer now, so I can't contribute to this account.

These IRAs are all mutual funds set up with Putnam Investments.

I want to take out my $2,000 to use as my bankroll to start some self-investing in stocks, using what I've learned by getting acquainted with the Motley Fool.

I was thinking of rolling my SEP into a Roth, but Putnam said once I did this, since it was a conversion account, I could not add anymore $$ to it, that in order to add $$ to a Roth, I would have to open up yet another one strictly for investing. Would it be better to just take my SEP money out of Putnam, take the hit to liquidating the SEP, and invest it in a Roth that I then could actually put money into?

I've read here that some people do actual trading and exchanging of stocks, using Fool 4, etc. in the Roth's, how is that possible, where did they go to set them up?

Any advice on my SEP - to - Roth question, or my IRA question would be appreciated.

thanks,
shawnw
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8771 of 75381
Subject: Re: Rearranging 2 IRAs and a SEP IRA Date: 2/24/1999 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Shawny, and welcome. You asked:
Hello All!

<< I was thinking of rolling my SEP into a Roth, but Putnam said once I did this, since it was a conversion account, I could not add anymore $$ to it, that in order to add $$ to a Roth, I would have to open up yet another one strictly for investing. Would it be better to just take my SEP money out of Putnam, take the hit to liquidating the SEP, and invest it in a Roth that I then could actually put money into?>>

Putnam is way behind the times. There is absolutely no legal reason that conversion money and annual contribution money must be kept in separate Roth IRA accounts. If Putnam doesn't want to budge on this issue, then you should look to move your account elsewhere to a custodian that's more accommodating,

<<I've read here that some people do actual trading and exchanging of stocks, using Fool 4, etc. in the Roth's, how is that possible, where did they go to set them up?>>

You may set up a self-directed Roth IRA with any broker. Just select one of your choice and tell that agency you wish to do so. They'll help you with the transfer of money from your SEP to get it established. Once the money is in the account, you may trade in individual securities like stocks and bonds to your heart's content.

Regards…..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement