Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 12:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
After several years of working and coming a considerable ways up the food chain, I finally have an office with an actual door that really closes. This is, IMO, a major accomplishment on my part, pathetic though it is. However, it has proven to be a mixed blessing. Although I have finally graduated out of cube hell <shudder>, I am now in the interior of the building. This means that I do not have an exterior window and in fact I cannot even see an exterior window.

I had no idea how much I miss the sun! I cannot wait for each weekend so that I get at least a little natural light. Its depressing and difficult to keep my spirits up. When I get to travel and go anywhere that I actually get a view of the outdoors, its like being let out of prison. Sadly, I won't rate a "room with a view" for years, if ever.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2209 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
After several years of working and coming a considerable ways up the food chain, I finally have an office with an actual door that really closes. This is, IMO, a major accomplishment on my part, pathetic though it is. However, it has proven to be a mixed blessing. Although I have finally graduated out of cube hell <shudder>, I am now in the interior of the building. This means that I do not have an exterior window and in fact I cannot even see an exterior window.

brewer,

Let me tell you, office life is not all it is cracked up to be. When I was back in my cubicle, it was much easier for me to practice the "Three for One" rule. Now that I am in an office, I have to be more discrete.

My office was in the center of the floor and I even had one of the support pillars coming down right in my cubicle. It was "cozy" but it was perfect as I was secluded from just about everything. The cube walls are higher so the people around me typically couldn't even see over.

About a year and a half ago I was moved to an office when our group moved to a different wing of the building. Now I have a nice window and door that can be closed, although there is a small window next to the door. But since the office is on one of the main hallways, people are going back and forth all day and the privacy of my little cube is long gone. While I do share my office (all contractors have to share here), the guy I share with is only here in the afternoons.

I hear you though on missing the view of the outside world. Winter especially always gets me down because when I get to work it is dark and when I leave work it is dark. At least the summer offers some time to enjoy the sun after work.

Here's to your road to FIRE!

dt

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2210 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 1:03 PM
At least the summer offers some time to enjoy the sun after work.

I am DYING for the summer to get here. I sometimes wonder if I'll end up with rickets due to lack of exposure to the sun.

Author: WeeBeastie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2216 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 3:50 PM
I am now in the interior of the building. This means that I do not have an exterior window and in fact I cannot even see an exterior window.

Oh yuck! I'd almost rather be in a cube farm.

I'm really lucky right now - I have a corner office with an actual balcony! Not that I ever go out there, or open the door because the street noise bothers me, but I could. Our lease is up in about a year and I know I'll be moved to our other building across the street. While I'll get an office with a window there's zero chance it will be a corner office.

Oh well.

IHave672WorkingDaysLeftBeastie

Author: WeeBeastie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2217 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 3:53 PM
I am DYING for the summer to get here. I sometimes wonder if I'll end up with rickets due to lack of exposure to the sun.

Clocks change this weekend. That means you can enjoy that jet lag feeling next week along with your rickets ;)

I am so looking forward to not caring about the spring time clock change. Maybe it would even take me a couple of weeks to notice. :D

672WorkingDaysLeftBeastie

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2226 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 6:19 PM
Sadly, I won't rate a "room with a view" for years, if ever.

Why not get some posters and/or screen savers to provide some views?

Author: Evelynk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2230 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 8:52 PM
Well- my working environment is worse. I work in cubeland in a basement with dingy carpet and no windows whatsoever. Plus, it's right next to the garage and it always smells like car fumes.

Author: Alemana One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2231 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/2/2004 8:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
Or splurge just a little and buy some "natural light" lightbulbs? The good ones are expensive but worth it. I ran a whole production area that did inpspection. The production area didn't have any windows, and my "office" was in the back of it behind large machines, so it was even worse. However, because this production group did visual inspection I was able to justify the fancy flourescent bulbs. It was amazing what a difference they made. People loved to come visit us after we put in that lighting.

Author: hereandnow Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2239 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/3/2004 10:14 PM
www.apollolight.com

I use a Sun Touch Plus daily in winter, plus overcast days the rest of the year. It's some money up front, but on me the effect was dramatic.

I spend most of my day in the only room in our house that doesn't get natural light -- my office.

here&now

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2240 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/3/2004 10:30 PM
I use a Sun Touch Plus daily in winter . . .

+++
+++

I live in FLA (the Sunshine State).
I'm retired.
I play golf.

sunray
knows where&how to live <wink>

Author: clairence Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2246 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/6/2004 11:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hi. I'm a little late to this conversation, but I was staring at a sandy beach for a week and am still getting caught up on the boards.

I couldn't agree more about working without a view of the sun. If FIRE is what it takes to get it back, perhaps a career change is in order? :-)

Several years ago, I left a foodservice job for a better-paying "indoor" job polishing jewelry for a repair shop.
No windows in a room the size of a bathroom was a huge change. It took some getting used to.

Within a year, I was running the shop, and three years later I'd learned the trade and decided to open my own repair shop.

There were two motivating factors for that last decision: more money... and a view of the outdoors.

I'll not give up windows again. Life's too short to suffer so.

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2247 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/7/2004 10:05 AM
I couldn't agree more about working without a view of the sun. If FIRE is what it takes to get it back, perhaps a career change is in order? :-)

Nice thought, but I don't see much opportunity ouitside of larger financial institutions right now. We'll see as time goes on, though.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2254 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/8/2004 6:41 PM

When my DH made me stop contracting and traveling for business, I took a position with the state (which was a royal PITA). They gave me a corner office with a window.
I didn't think much of it, but when I told Hubby, he just kept saying, "You have a door?? A real door? And a window???" It really never occured to me that it was a big thing.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2256 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/8/2004 7:19 PM
I live in FLA (the Sunshine State).
I'm retired.
I play golf.

sunray
knows where&how to live <wink>

That's something my Hubby would come out with, except we live in Georgia.

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2257 of 5069
Subject: Re: Reason #4512 I need to FIRE Date: 4/8/2004 9:20 PM
They gave me a corner office with a window.
I didn't think much of it, . .

+++
+++

Me either (back when I was working) until they converted the rest of the open office space into those Dilbert-made-Infamous cubicles. I hung on to that same office (with its LOCKABLE door) until I retired.

sunray

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement