UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jackotaco SC1 Red SN Olympia3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 267369  
Subject: Rebalance a Portfolio Date: 8/29/2012 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a portfolio that I try to keep at 3 to 4% per stock. Should I rebalance monthly or yearly? Some of the stocks are up 50 to 150%. Could someone please give me some guidence.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259148 of 267369
Subject: Re: Rebalance a Portfolio Date: 8/30/2012 12:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
When you have stocks which are performing nicely, it can be a good idea to reevaluate their potential frequently, and perhaps sell part of the position to claim profits and diversify. That can funnel into rebalancing, but rebalancing is more important for long term investors who do not keep a close eye on their investments.

Perhaps you should rebalance quarterly and more often if you have a good reason--as circumstances indicate.

Author: PeterLincoln Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259419 of 267369
Subject: Re: Rebalance a Portfolio Date: 10/7/2012 1:17 AM
Hi,

Annual rebalancing is adaquate. But rebalancing with a stock portfolio isn't easy as you might windup selling winners either too soon or that should be kept indefinitely.

Three to four per cent sounds pretty low unless you have some mutual funds too.

Best,

pl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement