Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: angelbuggy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: rebate credit Date: 8/20/2001 12:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Oddly enough (I am tempted to say "suspiciously enough," but I don't want anyone thinking I'm a conspiracy theorist), for the first time in 8 years of filing as Head of Household, THIS year, the IRS "accidently" changed my filing status to Single, which has impacted my tax rebate.

I received a letter from them in June informing me that I owed an additional $1020 in tax. Their figures for my GI and AGI were identical to the ones on my return, so I figured they must have mistakenly changed my filing status. I called and spoke to someone in the Fresno office, who looked at my information and saw that this was exactly what happened. After checking my son's SSN and address on HIS return, he apologized and said they would restore my HOH filing status.

About two weeks later, I received a second letter from them stating that they had erred in changing my filing status, and that I owed no additional tax. So far, so good.

A couple weeks later, I got my card from the IRS informing me that, you guessed it, instead of receiving a $500 rebate as a HOH, I would be receiving a $300 rebate as a Single.

I wrote to the Philadelphia office explaining the situation and enclosed copies of the two letters I had received from the Fresno office - the first telling me I owed more tax, and the second admitting their error and stating that I had originally filed with the correct status, and didn't owe any more tax.

Friday I received a letter from Philadelphia informing me that regardless of whether they were mistaken or not, I can only rectify the situation by claiming a credit on my 2001 taxes. I called the person listed in the letter, who told me they would not be sending out any official document stating that I'm eligible for this credit, but that I should keep my card (which I long since threw away).

Needless to say, I'm rather annoyed that the one year out of eight that it mattered, they inexplicably changed my filing status. And apparently it was a very common occurrence - the representative I spoke to on the phone is doing nothing but dealing with people like me. I hate to sound so paranoid, but...aren't most single moms poor Democrats? :o)

ab
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement