Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bcbond One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121566  
Subject: rebated commissions Date: 11/2/2000 2:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just opened an account at Waterhouse and got three free trades. If I buy a stock and pay the $12 commission, it gets credited back to my account at the end of the month. The question is, do I included it in my cost basis for the stock I buy, or is it not figured in since it is credited back to my account?

Brian
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41442 of 121566
Subject: Re: rebated commissions Date: 11/2/2000 5:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I just opened an account at Waterhouse and got three free trades.>>

Congrats.

<< If I buy a stock and pay the $12 commission, it gets credited back to my account at the end of the month. The question is, do I included it in my cost basis for the stock I buy, or is it not figured in since it is credited back to my account?>>

Since you'll get those commissions back in the form of a rebate, they should NOT be added to the cost of your stock when computing your basis. In effect, you receive the trade as a freebie. Good for you.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement