UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/20/2004 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Have you purchased anything lately that was both inexpensive and had a positive influence on your quality of life?

I did. It is an insulated sport water bottle for $10. I live wear it's hot in the summer and I like to hike and bike. A nice cold drink sure is refreshing in the heat.

In the past, I have partially filled up regular water bottles and froze them. However, the result was that I usually was drinking warm water near the end of the hikes/rides. But now my new bottle stays cold for hours!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: jenefair One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I got a microwavable cup that you can put loose tea leaves in, which has a filter at the bottom which, after brewing, strains the leaves and lets the tea drop into your drinking cup underneath.

I love the freshness that using loose leaves brings to the tea, and I use this cup at least once every morning.

=) Jen

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 12:55 PM
Have you purchased anything lately that was both inexpensive and had a positive influence on your quality of life?

I did. It is an insulated sport water bottle for $10. I live wear it's hot in the summer and I like to hike and bike. A nice cold drink sure is refreshing in the heat.

In the past, I have partially filled up regular water bottles and froze them. However, the result was that I usually was drinking warm water near the end of the hikes/rides. But now my new bottle stays cold for hours!

Hey WorkWayLess. I bought a Rubbermaid 20 oz. sport bottle several years ago to use when I play golf. Like you I fill mine half full of water and freeze it the night before I play. It's usually melted after about 9 holes. I refill a couple of times at the water stations on the course. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of "insulated sport water bottle" you bourght and is it small enough to fit in a golf bag?

Much Grass,
ImAGolfer

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 1:36 PM
I'd be interested in hearing what kind of "insulated sport water bottle" you bourght and is it small enough to fit in a golf bag?

The brand name is Polar Bottle®. I bought it at a store called Organized Living but I bet you could get it a sporting good stores. Yeah, it would fit into a golf bag--it fits into the water bottle holder on my bike. If you get one, I would advise you to still freeze the bottle as it will stay colder much longer.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 650 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 1:40 PM
I got a microwavable cup that you can put loose tea leaves in, which has a filter at the bottom which, after brewing, strains the leaves and lets the tea drop into your drinking cup underneath.

I love the freshness that using loose leaves brings to the tea, and I use this cup at least once every morning.

Hi Jen,

I'd be interested in one of those cups. It sounds like its eco-friendly. And I know that Dr. Andrew Weill says that the loose leaf green teas are better for you than bagged tea that has sat on the shelf forever. Would you mind sharing the brand name and/or where you bought it?

Thx!

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 651 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 2:06 PM
And I know that Dr. Andrew Weill says that the loose leaf green teas are better for you than bagged tea that has sat on the shelf forever.

How do you know the loose leaf hasn't set on the shelf forever? Does it have an expiration date? I would think the more convenient bagged tea would go more quickly.

IP,
coffee drinker.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 652 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 5:34 PM
IP asks,
How do you know the loose leaf hasn't set on the shelf forever? Does it have an expiration date? I would think the more convenient bagged tea would go more quickly

You're right--I don't think that bagged vs unbagged was the problem. IIRC, he recommended buying teas at health food stores and speciality shops which happen to be sold loose leaf. They are higher quality teas and tend to last longer than the mass-marketed ones sold in supermarkets. The article was in last month's More magazine.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 653 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 8:43 PM

Why did you have to pay for it? I get those for free all the time from various things I do.

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/21/2004 9:01 PM

I tried a bottle of similar design, but found that after time, the plastic "plasticized" (I think that's what it's called) and that funky plastic taste leached into the water each time I filled it.

Now I use Lexan bottles and buy insulated jackets for them. Great taste and the ice cubes take hours to melt.

Does the water taste good in the Polar bottle?

MG

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 1:40 PM
Does the water taste good in the Polar bottle?

Yup. No plastic taste.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 1:42 PM
Why did you have to pay for it? I get those for free all the time from various things I do.

Good for you--I never have gotten an insulated one for free.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 6:26 PM
Good for you--I never have gotten an insulated one for free.

I get them through various volunteer things I do. I refereed a robotics competition earlier this year, and they gave me two. I've also gotten them from volunteering for kids' sports stuff.

Author: jenefair One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 6:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Surely! =)

It's from Adagio teas, I just went to check the name of the cup (Aria) and found they're doing a cool offer http://www.adagio.com/misc/no_risk.html. If you want to see how it works check out http://www.adagio.com/misc/iced_tea_duo.html (although I don't have the need or desire for the pitcher in the demo <grin>).

Good teas, too.

=) Jen

Author: jenefair One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 6:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
I admit, I may have been propagandized, but the loose tea really does taste better to me, and since it costs something like $.10 a cup, it's an inexpensive habit (unlike dark belgian chocolate, yum!) Plus I enjoy the ritual of making it.

=) Jen

PS I've also ordered from www.tealuxe.com (pomegranite pear), Harney and Sons www.harney.com (their chocolate mint tea is lovely!), and Peets (a delightful jasmine).

From Adagio's site:
Gourmet vs. Supermarket Tea
Remember when your choice of coffee ranged from Folgers to Sanka? And then Starbucks came along to show how much better it can be. The same is true of tea. The varieties on offer in your supermarket are the bottom of the barrel: low-quality bags containing tea dust - the tiny leaf particles that break off when tea leaves are processed. They'll add color to your cup, but not much flavor. A far cry from the abundance of flavor and intoxicating aroma found in a cup of full-leaf gourmet tea. Chances are, you are no longer drinking Sanka. Once you try our teas, you will not wish to drink anything sold in the supermarket either.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 660 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/22/2004 7:26 PM

Jen,

Thanks for the link

Tea drinking is such a healthy habit to have. Here's a write-up on the benefits:

http://tinyurl.com/3c47t

Author: sumap10 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 661 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/23/2004 1:46 PM
I got a shower massager - looks brand new - for $1.39 at Goodwill. Had to leave one when I moved because I couldn't get it off. Works great and feels good too.

Barely passed up a new looking 4-cup Mr. Coffee for $.75 (1/2 price) today because I decided I wouldn't use it enough. Got to watch those pennies!!!

Sumap10

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 662 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/23/2004 5:51 PM
The brand name is Polar Bottle®. I bought it at a store called Organized Living but I bet you could get it a sporting good stores. Yeah, it would fit into a golf bag--it fits into the water bottle holder on my bike. If you get one, I would advise you to still freeze the bottle as it will stay colder much longer.

I recently got one of these and really like it. I got it from the bike shop where my son works for just over $5(parent discount of close to 50%).

rad

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/23/2004 6:25 PM

I recently purchased some beautiful decorative candles for $2 at a yard sale.

I'm one of those people who finds it hard to spend money on tzotchkes, so this was a great deal for me. They look nice in my new house.

MG

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/24/2004 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 5
Last Saturday I took a class in cooking with a camp dutch oven offered to adult Boy Scout leaders. An excellent class in how to eat well on camping trips.

One of the pieces of equipment universally used was a charcoal chimney for lighting charcoal briquettes rapidly and without charcoal lighter. These devices are offered commercially for about $25., and are a sheet metal cylinder with a grill in the bottom, holes in the sides. The idea is that you load up the cylinder with charcoal and use newspaper under the grill or a burner flame of some kind to get the charcoal started. From that point, the cylinder carries the heat to the unlit charcoal above, lighting it rapidly and effectively.

Not desiring to spend $25 wantonly, and also since I don't need a lot of charcoal in most cases, I found a tin cylinder sitting around the house, and used a drill to cut 1/2 inch holes in the bottom and sides, adding a wire handle.

Works great!

Seattle Pioneer

$25 richer

Author: michaelangela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/24/2004 3:43 PM
Not desiring to spend $25 wantonly, and also since I don't need a lot of charcoal in most cases, I found a tin cylinder sitting around the house, and used a drill to cut 1/2 inch holes in the bottom and sides, adding a wire handle.

You know those pre-formed, aluminum foil pans you can get at the supermarket (like for lasagna)?

Well, needing this same function as you, on short notice last Sunday, I just bought one of those foil pans designed for casseroles: 9-10" diameter, with high (say, 3-4"), steep sides. I think it was $.79. I cut the bottom out, set it in the grill, and piled the charcoal in it.

It worked great. It even had little tabs for handles. So, when the charcoal was ready, I just grabbed a tab with grill tongs and gently tipped the coals out.

A ribeye for me and a 7 oz tenderloin for DW: just the ticket!

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/24/2004 3:50 PM

I accomplished the same thing by cutting the top and bottom out of a 3 pound coffee can and used an old fashioned beer can opener to add holes to the bottom edge. Fill with newspaper and charcoal and you are off to the races. Works pretty good.

Author: Stetson20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 667 of 1491
Subject: Re: Recent cheap purchase? Date: 6/24/2004 9:24 PM
I accomplished the same thing by cutting the top and bottom out of a 3 pound coffee can and used an old fashioned beer can opener to add holes to the bottom edge. Fill with newspaper and charcoal and you are off to the races. Works pretty good.

This is on my "to try" list. Probably this weekend when we grill out! Great idea!

Stetson20

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement