Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Some old games, some newer. All purchased on Steam for PC.

Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim
Some critics and fans complained that there isn't enough content in the DLC to warrant a $20 price tag. Compared to the rest of the game it may not seem like much, but I rolled a new character, played about 20 hours in order to level up and then started to the one of the Dawnguard questlines. Now I have about 70 hours stuck into that character and about 95% of the quest completed. I have just one of the side quest to do, then I can go back through and play through with the other faction.

The only negative that I can say about Dawnguard is that npcs are pretty uninspiring. From the moment that I discovered one of the main npc(companion). I wanted to pound a wooden stake into her chest, but the game wouldn't let me. :-/ Overall I would give this a 7.5 out of 10 and wouldn't hesitate to pick this up for $10 or less.

Knights of the Old Republic
I never played this when it first came out and I picked it up on Steam for something around $3. I am glad that I did. It sounds like the game was criticized for slow loading and clumsy combat. I thought the story was top notch Bioware and my PC blew through the loading screens in a couple of seconds. Really a wonderful game if you are a Star Wars or just a cRPG fan. Overall a 8.5 out 10.

Knights of the Old Republic II
As much as I liked the first one, I find myself uninspired by Obsidians venture into the Star Wars saga. It's buggy and the story line is hard to follow. There just seems to be an overabundance of dialogue that doesn't add much to the story or the Star Wars lore. I find myself just speeding through it all only to find that I missed the one bit of information that I needed. This game is sitting idle after about 11 hours of playing. I will come back to it. Just not right away. Overall a 4.5 out of 10.

Jade Empire
Yes another oldie, but goody. For as old as this game is, it doesn't look that bad and it runs pretty good on modern rigs. The game was criticized about being too short and for having poor controls for an action game. I really don't think the game is all that short as I have sunk in over 20 hours into and am just starting the 3rd act of 7. Unless the last acts are really short, this is will still clock in over 50 hours. Some of the combat areas are really small and maneuverability is constrained to the point that some character builds may have a tough time getting through these areas. I can't think of another cRPG that has been developed in the west with an eastern based story. Maybe that is why it never was the commercial success that other Bioware games are, but it does surpass their more recent titles in creating fascinating world. 9 out of 10 if you are a RPG/action marshal arts fanatic.

Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package
I'll start this with saying that I have played most of the GTA games. At some point, I either gave up or just went on to something else. I never had the desire to go back and finish them although I would say that I did enjoy the time spent playing the games while I did. I will play through SR3 at least twice. I really like the open world aspects and character customization of SR3 compared to GTA and maybe the games shouldn't be compared but its hard not to.

To say that SR3 is Over the Top would be an understatement. Everything about it is extreme from the weapons to the cars to the people. There is hardly a moment that I am not wowed or just can't stop laughing because something seems so absurdly funny. How do these people come up with these ideas? The side quest are really what make the game for me; whether it is going through an obstacle course like Professor Genki Super Ethical Reality Show, getting run over in Insurance Fraud, or just blowing stuff up with Mayhem. Each activity is unique and there seems like so much to do apart from the main quest.

I have played this non stop since the day that I bought it and have had only one or two minor bugs pop up. Runs smoothly except for a couple of times an hour the game will freeze for about 5 seconds. I'm giving this my highest score of 12 out of 10. Great game for the deviant in you and at a fantastic price. $15 until Jan 5th on Steam.

C2H5SH
Print the post  

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement