Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: frogfarm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 274  
Subject: Recently widowed.Anyone here? Date: 12/15/2005 12:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
My husband of 29 yrs passed away in late October. (He was 69; I'm 56.)

He was in good health, although he'd had a mild heart arrhythmia for decades. He suffered a stroke and died within 6 days.

I'm glad he went quickly, never re-gaining consciousness, because he would NOT have wanted to be debilitated.

We have no kids, and I have no family members nearby. We do have friends and live in a small rural community where I get hugs whenever I go to town. (Which isn't often, as it's a 30-mile round trip and I hate winter driving.)

Our paperwork/planning were in good order, so the legal/financial minutia was dealt with after a minimum of bother.

The scariest part for me is handling the investments solo. Thank God we had been active at the Fool site (Russ more so than me). He was a 'gold bug', if not always a 'gold bull'. Things looking rosy right now, but I contemplate a less aggressive stance, and movement into more traditional retirement holdings....

I'm not too sure what I expect from this board, but wonder if there are any 'gotcha's that people experienced as they went thru this. Financial or otherwise. Example: Russ's KEOGH retirement account was rolled into my IRA. And his ROTH into my ROTH. Does anyone know if this counts as my 2005 contribution? (I think not.) I'm retired, but Russ fished commercially this year, so I believe I can still make a spousal contribution to my Roth. (I think.)

Emotionally I'm okay. You can't be married to a fisherman for that long and not be kinda sorta prepared for a loss...but I expected to lose him at sea, not at his computer!

Two days ago my 'on-demand' propane hot water heater failed to stay lit; no matter how much I demanded... My builder can't come by until Saturday. I wanted to sit and cry, but I reminded myself I'm tough; once had to go swimming on Christmas day in Alaskan waters due to an emergency situation. So I decided I could handle a cold shower... I just waited until I had a 'hot flash' and it wasn't that bad. (Of course it was cold; the trick is, not MINDing that it's cold! 8^)

Well, that's 'nuff for now, to see if anyone's here....
Alice of the frogfarm
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement