Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I each did partial conversions of our traditional IRA's in May, 2000. With the falling stock market, we decided to recharacterize in December. After that, but before the end of the year, we each did another partial conversion. Even though it may not have been necessary, we decided to keep it less complicated by having separate accounts for each transaction. We have filed an extension for 2000, and are currently trying to make sure everything has been accurately reported to the IRS.

Our tax person has asked for a total basis as of 12/31/99 for each of our traditional IRA's. I have looked at the 8606 and am not sure if this means all past contributions. If so, why is this needed? The instructions on Line 2 state that if this is the first year for an 8606, we can fill in 0.

Our tax person says this is something provided by the broker who handles the accounts. We have had three different brokers for both accounts. I don't want to do unnecessary record digging, if it isn't really necessary. Thanks --Glad0
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.