UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mlk58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308230  
Subject: Recipe For The Big Happy Dance Date: 4/30/2003 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 236
Today is the day, Fools! I just made the last online payments to AT&T Universal and Citibank, which retired the last of our huge pile of nonmortgage debt! If you'll indulge me, I'd like to share our recipe for success…

Mix together:

5 credit cards
2 car loans
2 student loans
1 home improvement loan
State back taxes (medium)
Federal back taxes (extra large)

Blend well to yield a total of $137,932 in nonmortgage debt. (I double-checked my MS Money file the other day and realized our actual starting number was even higher than the $132,906 I've been using all these months! Eek!)

Combine with:

One copy Debt-Proof Living by Mary Hunt.

One terrified and slightly obsessive wife with good income and firm resolve.

One slightly recalcitrant husband with battered credit but good income.

Mix well and place in pressure cooker over high heat. Boil until impurities such as anger, regret and self-pity rise to the surface; skim off and discard. Strain through cheesecloth to remove additional impurities such as weekly cleaning service, dining out, and recreational shopping.

Return to pressure cooker, place back on stove and add the following:

1 Freedom Account, divided.

1 Emergency Fund (place on ice until needed).

2 weekly spending allowances, to taste.

1 snowball payment plan.

1 copy MS Money.

1 TMF Consumer Credit/Credit Cards message board.

Place lid on tightly so no new debt can contaminate the mix. Gradually add $17,842.72 in interest at declining rates ranging from 24.9% (DH's car loan when we started) to 0% (everything for the past year or so).

Liberally sprinkle with new frugal habits and simmer for 1,216 days, stirring occasionally. Do not leave unattended. Adjust heat and pressure as necessary to compensate for environmental conditions such as layoffs, leaky roof, major car repairs and major job change. Add patience and determination as needed; temporarily lower heat if emotions boil over. Season with occasional treats, paid for in cash, and periodic interim Happy Dances.

Mixture is done when all nonmortgage balances are at zero, both spouses have FICO scores over 740, and the sound of Happy Dancing is heard throughout the land.

mlk58
40 months and $137,932 down; zero, zip, zilch, nada to go!

P.S. Thanks, Fools! It's been a pleasure and a privilege to share the journey with y'all! I am here to tell you that no matter how bleak things look, getting out of even the scariest debt is absolutely possible. It ain't easy and it ain't always fun, but it's definitely possible. And it's more rewarding than you can possible imagine.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement