UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884995  
Subject: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yesterday I was gifted a box of various food staples since I'm on a tight budget. The only items I don't know what to do with are these canned goods.

- One 15 ozs. can of sweet potatoes, in syrup
- Four 14 ozs. cans of cranberry sauce* (Ocean Spray brand)
- Two 15 ozs. cans of cut green beans

(* I know cranberry sauce isn't a vegetable, but I wanted a sgirt subject line.)

Any healthy entree ideas?

Considerations: I have a working stove, but my oven is currently out of order and will remain so for at least a few more months. Since I am on a tight food budget, I prefer main entree ideas (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). I do not normally make sweets, desserts, or appetizers so the sweet potatoes (in syrup) and the cranberry sauce has me stumped. I rarely buy green beans, preferring fresh or frozen as the last time I bought canned green beans decades ago, I found them too soft (but maybe there is a a stovetop casserole idea that might work? anyone?).

Thank you.

Lois Carmen D.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870658 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
but I wanted a sgirt subject line.

That should have been "a short subject line. Sorry for any confusion.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870660 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 4:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well cranberry sauce you just eat as a side like you would applesauce. Ocean Spray does have some recipes on their website using their whole berry cranberry sauce.

Lara Amber

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870661 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 4:16 PM
Green Beans: If you don't want to go the green bean casserole route (which is the first place I would go with canned green beans), my grandparents used to cook green beans with potato, as a side.

For the sweet potatoes, I would say sweet potato casserole as a side, with brown sugar/cinnamon. It will be sweet because sweet potatoes are sweet all on their own, but not necessarily dessert (especially if you leave off the marshmallows!)...You could probably find a ton of recipies online in the thanksgiving section.

Cranberries, I'm not sure. I think you could make a cranberry sauce that goes well with meats like duck and pork, but I never eat the jelly.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870663 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 4:47 PM
Without an oven, you have some limitations.

For green beans, I find it easy to include them in dishes like homemade soup, chili, or even in many pasta recipes with sauce.

I agree that fresh or frozen green beans are better in that canned ones are often have a flavor from the can.

As to softness, we have different cooking styles in the US, North to South. Southern style cooks them until soft usually in the presence of bacon or ham rind. Canned can work OK in such a recipe. Northern style likes them crisp--often just heated through rather than cooked. That is hard to achieve with canned green beans.

For sweet potatoes, I have seen them mashed. They are tasty. Again I think that is Southern style cooking.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870668 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 6:05 PM
I like to use leftover cranberry sauce in this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Tenderloin...

I do make it with the pork tenderloins, but I've also just made the sauce and served that with pork chops, and you could cook the whole thing on top of the stove.

Another one that I like is this one also from epicurious http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Chops-with...

You might try looking up recipes there for the sweet potatoes, but I'd think you could just eat those and the green beans just heated up as a side veggie.

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870669 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 6:39 PM
- One 15 ozs. can of sweet potatoes, in syrup
- Four 14 ozs. cans of cranberry sauce* (Ocean Spray brand)
- Two 15 ozs. cans of cut green beans

One way to get around the soft texture of canned green beans is to put them in another dish, like soup or pasta. I often do this with frozen vegetables since they also tend to have a soft texture. I think they go nicely with ziti or rotini with meat sauce. I would rinse them before using since canned vegetables tend to have a lot of salt.

Cranberry sauce makes a nice condiment for sandwiches, especially turkey sandwiches. However, it would take a long time to use four cans that way! You can also add a spoonful to vegetables to add just a touch of sweetness - I've been trying to use up some strawberry jelly and I sometimes add a tiny bit to green beans or carrots.

You could probably rinse the sweet potatoes to get rid of some of the syrup.

Karen

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870671 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 7:01 PM
This is one of my family's favorite Autumn suppers. I got it from the Frugal Gourmet back when he was on TV.

Toast and butter bread of your choice -- a nice bodied whole grain bread is good. I think he used French bread.

Spread with cranberry sauce and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Put under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbly.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870672 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 7:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the original post and notice you don't have an oven. Maybe you can borrow a neighbor's toaster oven for an evening? :)

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870673 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 7:03 PM
When I'm low on fresh food, I use canned green beans as a "salad" by rinsing and adding vinaigrette or Italian dressing, then chilling.

MOI

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870677 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 9:14 PM
I'd use the sweet potatoes just as a side dish, maybe with pork chops. If you don't care for the sweetness, you could probably rinse them off before you warm them up. I like that touch of sweet, though, with pork, and I often buy those oddball pork chops--they're pork chops, but I think they're more from the ends or something and they don't have that perfect pork-chop shape--but they're tasty and cheap.

I'm not a big fan of canned green beans, either, but they're aren't so bad if you brown some bacon, then saute some onion, then drain the green beans and warm through.

Also, a salad nicoise isn't too bad with canned green beans--tuna fish, some sliced boiled potatoes and green beans tossed with a vinaigrette.

Cranberry sauce is really freezable, so if you open a can and maybe use some on a turkey or ham sandwich and don't use it all right away, it will freeze nicely in a rubbermaid container or baggie. If you froze some small portions, they'd be perfect for adding to sandwiches.

I love cranberry sauce--it's really yummy used like a jelly on nice homemade bread (homemade bread is super cheap to make and totally worth it! Not nearly as hard as people make it out to be). It's also good on homemade biscuits and cornbread.

My grandma used to make this jello stuff, and I know it sounds weird, but it was really tasty. It was jello and cranberry sauce and shredded cabbage and it had sour cream in it. I hadn't thought about that in years, but I looked it up and found this recipe. It uses a bit of vinegar, but she used sour cream instead, or in addition to. It was a TREAT when I was a kid, and I'm sure she made it to get me to eat some veggies....
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/cran-perfection-salads

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870682 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 10:55 PM
You can make a nice bean salad with the green beans. Stir together drained green beans, drained & rinsed canned (or cooked from scratch) kidney beans and chick peas. Add some sliced onion and a vinaigrette dressing (or just some oil, vinegar, salt & pepper, maybe a little water and minced garlic and a pinch of sugar). With some form of grain (bread, pasta, tortilla, biscuit, crackers) you'd have complete protein for a main meal.

I agree with using the canned cranberry sauce on sandwiches, even peanut butter & jelly. Or on toast, if you like it enough. A slice of canned cranberry sauce would add color and calories to a meal.

There's an Eastern European dish called tsimmes that's made of fresh or canned sweet potatoes/yams, carrot chunks, dried fruit (prines, apples, whatever), and orange juice--usually sugar or honey, but you can use the surup from the canned sweet potatoes. Add a little cinnamon if you like it. Normally baked in an oven, but if you have a slow cooker or electric frying pan (do people still have those? they were ubiquitous in the 70s), that would work just as well I should think. Or just cook it on the stove in a heavy-bottomed pan and stir often to keep it form burning on the bottom.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870686 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/18/2013 11:48 PM
electric frying pan (do people still have those? they were ubiquitous in the 70s),

When my mother gave up her condo to move to a retirement center, her electric frying pan was one of the first things I asked for. It's very handy, particularly since the gas stove in this apartment has this upward creep problem.

Nancy

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870696 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/19/2013 4:02 AM
I second/third the mixing green beans with rice/pasta/whatever

For the sweet potatoes -
Rinse what you can, mix with a dark green prepared (or frozen) vegetable (Kale/spinach) add some garlic and/or cook with a spicy sausage.
mash all together.
Serve with a starch- kind of a nice combination of flavors

do you have a dog? (i know cats, but i can't remember about a dog) -
If so, rinse the syrup off, mash with a fork and mix with oatmeal & about half the usual water for oatmeal
heat thoroughly, then cool and freeze in patties (put a muffin tin lined with plastic wrap in the freezer, portion in half full, freeze, dump into freezer bag, wash, rinse, repeat...and give them as an occasional meal treat to your dog.

peace & using it up
t

i have no advice for cranberry sauce

Author: hockeymomof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870697 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/19/2013 8:41 AM
Cranberries and sweet potatoes just 'go' together. Google 'cranberry sweet potato' and you will see a myriad of uses together! Even smoothies!

I love cranberries and make my own sauce from fresh berries provided by a friend who is a grower. Another kind of sauce I make includes cranberries AND apples. If you were to acquire some applesauce (or apples) and heat it with the cranberry sauce and add some spices you would approximate my cranapple sauce. It doesn't quite gel in the fridge and makes a fine fruit accompaniment to most anything. We eat it at most meals.

I agree the best use of canned green beans might be in a soup...tho the idea of rinsing and adding italian seasoning as a salad intrigues me.

The sweet potatoes and cranberries you have are loaded with vitamins and will be a great addition nutritionally. The green beans, eh, notsomuch but they will make a nice diversion.

Teri

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870703 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/19/2013 1:41 PM
Put under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbly

Could be made on stovetop as a grilled cheese sandwich...

Sadie Killmouski
Loves her grilled cheesies

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870705 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 1/19/2013 2:07 PM
One can use cranberry sauce like any other jam or jelly, on toast, on sandwiches, mixed in with unsweetened yogurt, etc.

- Megan

Author: MakingTrax One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871219 of 884995
Subject: Re: Recipes with canned veges Date: 2/2/2013 10:49 AM
We tend to stock up on canned veggies periodically when there is a decent sale. However, we don't typically eat the canned veggies/fruits as part of our daily meals as we prefer to use fresh produce (and save the canned goods for emergencies). But periodically, we rotate the old cans (to avoid expiration) and it becomes almost a game to figure out how to incorporate them into our meals.

As already mentioned, canned beans (as well as most canned veggies) can easily be incorporated into soups, stews and sauces. When the kids were younger, we used to puree canned beans or carrots or spinach (because it was already soft) and add it to the marinara sauce or casseroles. It adds a nice texture and the kids were clueless that they were eating a serving of healthy vegetables. Somewhat OT with regard to the kids, but still something I do every so often to boost nutrition. I would think that this same concept could work with sweet potatoes.

I like tconi's suggestion: For the sweet potatoes - Rinse what you can, mix with a dark green prepared (or frozen) vegetable (Kale/spinach) add some garlic and/or cook with a spicy sausage. mash all together. Serve with a starch- kind of a nice combination of flavors

I would just add that Jimmy Dean makes both a maple and a sage flavored sausage, either of which would be wonderful in the combination above.

After holidays when we have leftover cranberry sauce/relish, we add it to our unsweetened oatmeal in the morning (in place of fresh fruit). You can also add the cranberry sauce to flavor plain yougart. It also mixes well with scrambled eggs, and in general can be used in place of anything that you might consider mixing with salsa. You could also make your own "cranberry salsa" but adding minced bell peppers and onions to the cranberry sauce (the balance of sweet/bitter and added crunch is nice). Again that cranberry salsa can go with eggs, on sandwiches. Also, snacks of crackers or celery sticks with a layer of cream cheese and then a dollup of the cran-salsa on top.

Sometimes, we also roast chicken in cranberry sauce (with a little added liquid). I imagine that you could do this sucessfully in a dutch oven stove top in lieu of an oven. When it's done, we use the cranberry-chicken drippings as gravy on rice served on the side.

I am hungry now and may seek out some canned goods for fixins.

Hope this helps.

Making Trax

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement