UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: My Funds, My Misery Date: 1/20/2009 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Recommendations: 0
I guess 40 snuck up on me and I am stressing a little more than I did in the past.

I have seen my retirement literally cut in half. Very scary! I have tried to beat the market, much to the diapproval of many. I have been here for 10 years at the Fool, I don't know what came over me this past year. Anyway, that is why I have so many funds. I have micromanaged classes. I don't see my money growing. of course, this past year has been brutal.

I am basically here. I have an IRA (never converted to Roth) that is 80% of my portfolio. It is at Schwab and there are a multitude of choices. My 401k is 20%. It is at Vanguard with no provision to put it into brokerage like I have been able to do at other companies. The bond choices there are Vanguard Inflation-Protect Sec Inv VIPSX and Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Idx Signal VBTSX.

I never seem to rebalance because the % I set stay about the same. Maybe that is good, maybe that is bad. Dunno. In other words, I am not locking in any gains, bad move for sure. I am thinking a portfolio consisting of 50% Large Cap, 20% Small Cap, 20% International. 10% Bond/Fixed. probably best suited to buy all index funds. The problem is, a lot of the funds are good, 4 and 5 star. I chose them for a reason. Some can go for sure. Should I look at a REIT fund? I can buy any at Schwab, thoughts? I will drop first Winslow Green growth (WGGFX) as it is 1 star and has definitely been a bad pick. However, it it's place should go something, maybe a bond fund? I am seeing the need to play it just slightly safer so I can see some growth down the road. I know the market will come back, however, is now the time to start thinking I am actually going to retire and get some fixed in there?

Bogle says % of fixed should equal your age. That is too conservative but will accept any advice.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement