Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm looking at getting a small compressor (1-3 gallon). I'm going to use it for some basic stuff so I don't need anything big or heavyduty, but I would like to get a good bang for my buck.

What do you guys think? Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Senco, Stanley Bostitch?

AC *waiting on feedback*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Craftsman is running some sales right now on small compressors. http://www.sears.com/search=air%20compressors?storeId=10153&...

I would like to get a good bang for my buck.

Personally, I'd stay away from the diaphragm/pancake type.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've a little twin tank Emglo I bought many years ago at the local Vets flea market... Had a broken rod, piston, but I repaired it, been going fine ever since... BUt I'd look at your local craigslist, see whats out there... Usd to be free ad shoppers around, too...
For my own use, I bought a 5HP horizontal compressor on wheels with a 30 gallon tank from a local independent shop that built it from scratch. It's only a single stage compressor, but it can handle air tools and spray painting pretty decently and anything less demanding. It cost me about $550, though that's been some time ago, though I don't think that compressors have increased in price a great deal. It's come in pretty handy. It keeps up pretty well. A 1HP compressor won't do a whole lot, but you said you don't need it to. What are you wanting to do with it?
No. of Recommendations: 2
What are you wanting to do with it?

Inflation, cleanup (blowing off dust and shavings), some trim work around the house. I'm looking for a 1-3 gallon portable. I was hoping not to spend more than $200. You recommend Craftsman? I like their handtools but I haven't tried any of their other equipment.

AC *hoping for some kind of preChristmas sale*
I like their handtools but I haven't tried any of their other equipment.

I haven't either, but there are a number of reviews at the website that I linked that might help provide some insights.
Craftsman of today is a different product in all lines.. I have my Dads old Crastsman ?" socket set, ratchet, speed handle, sockets... More like Snap-On as far as quality... Lather wrenches, ratchets lost the feel, fit and finish... I bought a lot of used tools over the years, try to duck the foreign lower quality, so I've raised my eyebrow over recent Craftsman hand tools.. And walked away from most.. But with drawers of tools already, it's an easy choice...

Back to compressors, I've a variety:

Main shop one I built from a Champion Twin (freebie from a local Ingersol vendor), a Doerr motor, tank, regulator from Grainger years ago.

Another in the garage is CAT tractor compressor (free from Bro) mounted on a ½" steel plate, a GE large frame 1.5 HP motor from the pawn shop ($20) I added a regulator, so it fills it's 23 gal tank, shuts down, but is piped all around the garage (¾" heavywall Alum conduit)

And the Emglo, fun project, turns out the compressor itself is French, but I think it's being copied on all the others..

I do have a ¾ Hp Craftsman oilless compressor in the storage shed, needs a quick connect, maybe need it someday...

In the garage is a little airbrush compressor, night need it someday!
And in the shop, a new, in the box two Cyl Dayton compressor unit, in case the Champion ever fails.. Fellow at the flea wanted it gone, $10, it was mine to haul away... Never been spun box was sealed..

But the Emglo has been fine for most, more portable, if I need more air, I go to the others.. Also bought a 100' Senco hose, reach anywhere in the house for nailers, pinners..

Never have too many compressors, kinda like clamps!

weco
No. of Recommendations: 3
Maybe weco could just give me one... :0D

AC *jk*
"Maybe weco could just give me one... :0D"

Stranger things have happened, like that Champion, just the compressor, no tank or anything, I went to the Ingersol shop to ee if they had used or trade-ins, the fellow just said to come on out back... He pointed to a pile of compressors, all sizes, 2, 3, 4 cylinder, but the 2 cyl was all I could run on 120V, so all he said is to never come to them for part for it, but he gave me the name of number of the Champion shop in Sacramento.. I called, ordered a set of reed valves for it, the last I ever had to contact either of 'em..

There are a ton of them out there, used, I see on a normal weekend, a half dozen at the flea market, likely the same near where you live, I checked my local craigslist, but it was only monsters or one that looked pretty bad, and he still wanted $150 for it.. Buy 'em new for that! Xmas sales are on in most places, should be a deal on new, if you can't find used...

The CAT compressor is set up to be water cooled, but I've never made it happen, it's a leftover from when they converted all the CATs to electric start instead of air start... Bro worked at a dealer at the time... That was 30 years ago!

weco
We gave my brother money for Christmas to get one.

He got this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-gallon-horizontal-air-compr...

Works really well for blowing out the outdoor shower lines for the winter.

Linda
Advertisement