UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Recommendations for Blu-Ray Date: 10/25/2012 3:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Anyone like to pass on a recommendation for a Blu-Ray player? They seem to be getting pretty inexpensive these days, so maybe it'd be worth replacing our aging DVD player. Here's the specs:

- Would only need to connect via HDMI to our A/V receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608) and wired Ethernet (FiOS), both within a couple feet.

- I've heard that Blu-Ray players can be slow to boot up and slow to load a disc. Don't know if that's only with Blu-Ray discs (of which we have none at the moment) or also with DVD's (of which we have many). Having something not slow would be important.

- It'd be nice if it could be controlled by the FiOS remote (Philips RC1445302/00B Rev2)... but our present DVD player can't, so I guess it's not super important. I think I favor the simple button-oriented remotes, as opposed to touch-pads or things you wave around Wii-like.

- Our present DVD player remembers where you were when you remove a DVD (or just turn the player off), which is important because we often don't have time for a whole movie, and sometimes watch a series on DVD one episode at a time (so it's nice to have the player remember which episode you're on). Or even go back and forth between those two concepts. I've read in some of the Amazon reviews that a lot of the cheaper Blu-Ray players don't have this feature for DVD discs.

- Our present DVD player can also display (briefly, at the press of a button on the remote) the time remaining for the movie (as well as the time elapsed so far), which I like, and which many of the DVD players way back when I bought this one couldn't do.

- We are not super fanatic about the picture quality or sound quality, but as I understand it pretty much all the Blu-Ray players have excellent picture and sound. The TV is a 46" 1080p LCD set (no 3D), but we may be going slightly bigger later.

- One thing I have noticed about our present DVD player is the mechanism can be a little noisy. It varies quite a bit depending on the disc. Quiet operation would be a plus.

- We occasionally watch a TV episode (usually one that our FiOS DVR failed to record) off the Internet, or Amazon Instant Video (usually the free Prime ones), and sometimes something off YouTube. For these purposes we have a small computer connected to the Onkyo. But it might be cool to do it with the Blu-Ray player instead if it's easy... and especially if one could use the remote control buttons for pause/play/back/forward (instead of mousing with the computer).

- I don't think we really need a lot of features, just a good basic player. Don't need WiFi, 2D-to-3D conversion (or probably 3D at all), a slew of inputs or outputs, etc. It doesn't have to be super cheap, I'm perfectly willing to pay a little extra for quality, speed, and ease of use for the features I do want.

- Any help on things to look for and things to avoid also greatly appreciated. Especially with respect to Blu-Ray and Internet-content features, which I'm not very familiar with at this point.

With a little Amazon-ing I found the Panasonic DMP-BDT220, but I think the group on this board is a better source of info than a zillion conflicting Amazon reviews.

Thanks,

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement