Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I owned two stocks, specifically, BUD and WWY, that were taken private and I was issued a check for their worth. My question is, do I need to hang on to the transaction records ( bought them through a DRiP) for any length of time, or can I trash them?

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I owned two stocks, specifically, BUD and WWY, that were taken private and I was issued a check for their worth. My question is, do I need to hang on to the transaction records ( bought them through a DRiP) for any length of time, or can I trash them?

You need to keep the records for as long as they remain pertinent to a tax return which is subject to audit. For federal returns, that's generally three years from the filing or due date (whichever is later), six years if there is a question of substantial underreporting of income on the return. Most tax professionals will suggest adding a year so that you don't inadvertently discard the records prematurely.

Some states have longer statutes of limitations (CA is four years), so check your state's rules as well.

Ira
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement