Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 203929  
Subject: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 5:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The week after Christmas, an estimated 20 million tracks were downloaded across all music download services. That shattered the previous record of 9.5 million set the same week last year.

Since those are presumably mostly iTunes tracks, I'd say that's a good thing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060108/wr_nm/digital_dc

dsbrady
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChicagoBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117437 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
shocking. Absolutely shocking I tell you.

The week after lots of folks unwrapped their new shiny iPods, they were buying music to put on there?

*gasp*

If only Wall St. could have foreseen that too? (or maybe they did!)

Now, I think Apple really needs to educate parents about the allowance & gift features at the iTMS :-)

Author: hawaiismk One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117438 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 0
Just read on the Apple insider that Crysler is joining the club to make Ipod accessibility on all of their new cars. How will this affect tommorows market?

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117440 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 9:10 PM
hawaiismk says

Just read on the Apple insider that Crysler is joining the club to make Ipod accessibility on all of their new cars. How will this affect tommorows market?

Well, the simplest level of iPod accessibility is nothing but an AUX input -- an audio jack socket -- on the front of the car stereo. I keep watching for a stereo that has this, that isn't expensive. Last time I went to Fry's, all of a sudden there were three on display, the cheapest being $99.

crassfool

Author: dreamdoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117441 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 9:15 PM
Probably won't.

All is lately overshadowed by this week's MacWorld, starting Tuesday.

This is the biannual conference where all new Mac goodies are announced by HRH Steve Jobs.

Tune in! Keep checking this board for a live webcast. (Haven't seen any info yet. Anyone else?)

You'll have many more questions and be even more interested in the stock, I'll bet...

Julie
Can't wait.
I need a new TV.

Author: TheXRayStyle One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117442 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 9:33 PM
Tune in! Keep checking this board for a live webcast. (Haven't seen any info yet. Anyone else?)

Sadly, I don't believe that Apple will be supplying a live video webcast.

However, if you're as antsy as me to find out things as they're announced, check out http://www.macrumorslive.com/about/. Mac rumor sites usually take quite a bandwidth hit during Stevenotes, but it sounds like they've really beefed up and prepared for a ton of people this year. I'm assuming that you'll be able to watch the keynote later that afternoon from Apple's site (as was the case last year), though.

Hope this helps! ...Though I'd be thrilled if somebody told me I was wrong and that we could watch it live... :-)

Author: ChicagoBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117444 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 11:03 PM
also, even if they don't do a live stream, they almost always provide a delayed stream usually available not too long after the Keynote is done.

Author: FoolishApple Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117445 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/8/2006 11:23 PM
According to MacRumors, Apple Investor Relations says no-go on a live stream.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060103235134.shtml

There will be a delayed stream at:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mac.html

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117447 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/9/2006 1:02 AM
Recommendations: 2
This is the biannual conference where all new Mac goodies are announced by HRH Steve Jobs.

Actually, it's really annual. The company that puts it on does one in the summer, but it's not supported or attended by Apple since they moved it to Boston against Apple's wishes.

joe

Author: GreggThurman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117458 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/9/2006 3:42 PM
Recommendations: 1

With Chrysler's participation nearly 40% of all passenger vehicles sold in the US will have some degree of iPod integration.

No other MP3 player is supported. Period.

How do competitors of iPod overcome that kind of inertia?

When the peripherals consumers want, when the cars consumers drive, all suppport iPod (to the exclusion of everything else) they don't.

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117467 of 203929
Subject: Re: Record Week for Legal Music Downloads Date: 1/9/2006 5:58 PM
With Chrysler's participation nearly 40% of all passenger vehicles sold in the US will have some degree of iPod integration.

No other MP3 player is supported. Period.

That depends on what "degree of iPod integration" they used.

If it's a dock connector, then yes it's iPod only. But if it's just a mini-plug adapter, any mp3 player or for that matter anything with a headphone jack (or something that can easily be converted to such, ie RCA ports) is "supported".

I'm not familiar with most current model year cars, but the recent year Honda Elements, and the current year Toyota Prius and Scion use this method.

My wife said the one in the Scion was labeled an iPod port, but that it was just a mini-plug so anything would work.

4aapl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement