UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190816  
Subject: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 9:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need to replace my Asus G60 laptop (motherboard is "flaky", speakers don't work, HD is ready to fail). I want another 17 inch screen--I watch a lot of streaming video on my laptop, do a lot of word processing, web surfing, minor gaming (WoW-type stuff), some picture editing (Corel PSP). Most of the time, it would be used at home, and on most of the day.

I looked at a few yesterday, and the one I was leaning towards (Toshiba) had a very light, thin lid that felt flimsy. Is this a concern, that the screen is pretty flexible?

Any recs would be welcome. My head is spinning with people I know saying "anything but HP" "anything but Dell" etc. I'm wanting something with 6GB memory, 750+ GB HD, around $800 or less that has a good rep for durability and longevity.

I hate to bother HWTSC with something I should be able to figure out myself, but the conflicting reviews I've seen are starting to run together, and I trust this board more than review sites.

cm
Print the post Back To Top
Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183025 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 11:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have a small (13-inch)Sony Vaio that I think is great.

If I was getting a 17-inch Laptop, I would get this. The base price is 649, but with the customization I would choose it comes to around $1200. I would want Windows 8 pro, 8 gigs of memory, the highest level processor, the Blu-ray player/burner, and a medium-sized HD. I would also choose the "Fresh Start" option, which means it has no trial software or proprietary Sony software pre-installed.

It will come with Windows 8, but I think that's fine, too.

You can fiddle the customization to suit yourself, of course.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess...

Rip

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183026 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 2:00 PM
I watch a lot of streaming video on my laptop, do a lot of word processing, web surfing, minor gaming (WoW-type stuff), some picture editing (Corel PSP). Most of the time, it would be used at home, and on most of the day.

Two different machines. Inexpensive desktop w/monitor and a separate tablet. Connect and swap data via wireless or USB if needed.

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183027 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 2:53 PM
The Sony looks nice-I've heard good things about them. I'm going to fiddle with the configuration and see if I can get it down closer to my price range.

Thanks!

cm

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183028 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 3:44 PM
I have a desktop and tablet (the desktop is more DH's than mine) and they're great for their purposes,but I'm wanting something with a larger display that I can use from the couch:-)

cm

Author: LonghornBoy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183029 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 8:55 PM
This rig seems to tick all the boxes for you:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-5720/pd?oc=fndor28h&am...

- 6GB memory? Yup, this one has 8GB
- 750+ GB HD? Yup, 1TB

It also has a fast, quad core i7 and dedicated, NVIDIA GeForce graphics, and a high-res screen...perfect for light gaming and photo editing.

It's $850...just a smidge above your target price.

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183030 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 9:05 PM
My local Costco store has the Dell XPS i7 with 12GB, 2TB, NVIDIA GeForce, GB & WiFi (and I think MS Office as well), Win & (with a $15 upgrade to Win 8 until the end of the year) for $699

Add a decent sized monitor (>20") and buy yourself an 11-13" lightweight laptop for when you are on the road, and you will be far better off.

Jeff

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183031 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 9:47 PM
I'm wanting something with a larger display that I can use from the couch:-)

Display on HDTV--big enough?

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183032 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 11:18 PM
"http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-5720/pd?oc=fndor28h&am...

This looks promising as well. Those are some great features for the price and it does seem to hit my wants without going too far over budget. Thanks!

cm

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183034 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/20/2012 11:28 PM
Display on an HDTV isn't workable for me, which is why I'm looking to replace the laptop.

cm

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183035 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/21/2012 12:35 AM
"I trust this board more than review sites."

Hi cm,

PCWorld reported some user survey results in January 2012 issue... Not exactly a review site so I'll post a couple of links. Other areas can be found through links below. The various categories covered were in their magazine as one article but on the site they're separate so some searching is required to see all of the parts.

Laptop Reliability and Satisfaction: MacBooks Rule: https://www.pcworld.com/article/244419/laptop_reliability_an...

"Dell and HP consumer laptops have become more durable over the years, but not as rapidly as several smaller rivals have. As a result, readers continue to ding the two large vendors on reliability measures. Apple laptop users gave their machines high marks for durability, support, and most features aside from "performance for the price." Asus, in contrast, got praise from customers for selling a lot of laptop for the money.

Highlighted in the three charts below are our survey participants' ratings of laptop PC manufacturers in three general areas: [more]"

Desktop PC Reliability and Satisfaction: Dell and HP Home PCs Get Poor Grades: https://www.pcworld.com/article/244481/desktop_pc_reliabilit...

YMMV.

Regards, Ken

Author: LonghornBoy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183038 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/21/2012 9:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
Apple laptop users gave their machines high marks for durability, support, and most features

Apple no longer makes a 17in laptop; and even if the poster were to buy a refurbished 17in laptop, it would blow her budget by a factor of 2 or more. If reliability is a concern, then she would be better off by buying the unit at Costco (which will double manufacturer's warranty) or by buying an extended warranty on the unit...

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183039 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/21/2012 10:19 AM
I bought an HP 17" laptop in 2006, used it for a year, then it crapped out. I had reported a problem with it to HP during the 1-year warranty period and that saved me. Turned out there was a bug in the BIOS in many of that laptop models and it ate the HDD. Did an RMA to HP (their expense) and they did a complete rebuild (new MB, new HDD, misc repairs) and I got it back. Meantime, I had already purchased a new desktop in Oct 2007 (the one I am using now), so I gave up using the laptop. It was $850+ back then, so stuff should be cheaper now. IMO, the best time to buy a laptop is the holidays.

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183040 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/21/2012 12:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Apple no longer makes a 17in laptop;"

So, that is not a reason not to post the article, IMO... That was not the point of my post, it is the reliability, etc. results for a number of brands...

Maybe the satisfaction and reliability numbers are not of interest to cm , I leave that for her to decide.

Regards, Ken

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183046 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/22/2012 2:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave me options, reviews and features to think about. I ended up with this:
http://tinyurl.com/dxxs6gu (Toshiba Satellite P875-S7310)

It was very helpful that there was encouragement here to go with Windows 8. The learning curve hasn't been bad at all.

The keyboard is huge and feels "different" from my Asus, but my accuracy is much better so I'm liking the layout. Overall, the features and price intersected just right.

Thanks!

cm

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183048 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/22/2012 10:35 PM
Hey cabinsmama,,,,

Looks like a pretty nice Laptop, and relatively fast too.

I Looked up the Toshiba Satellite P875-S7310 Processor Specs,
and yours has the Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz Processor/CPU.

It's ranked by Passmark as follows: (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php)

......................................................Passmark-CPU................RANK..........
CPU Name...........................................Mark.................(lower is better)
.....................................................(higher is better)....................................

Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz......7649...............................78

The fastest Ranked i7 is this one:

Intel Core i7-3970X @ 3.50GHz.......13167.................................7

and the lower-end i7's are Ranked like this one:

Intel Core i7-2617M @ 1.50GHz.......2959..............................415

Passmark's CPU Mark/Ranking of 7649 is plenty fast.

TK...

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183049 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/22/2012 11:39 PM
With respect to what RipRock said, I have a Sony Vaio 17" (VGN-FW550F) and my thoughts:

1) On some Sony models (like mine) the power cord plus into the left hinge. This makes it much more highly prone to breaking. If you *do* break it, you'll need infinite patience (or a tech) because the whole laptop has to be disassembled to replace the relatively inexpensive part.

2) Sony batteries don't appear to be very common so count on purchasing one online somewhere if there's a problem.

3) I didn't see a whole lot of crapware on the machine when I first got it so no use in paying to have a "clean" machine.

4) I think the Sony display is quite good - possibly the best I've used.

5) Unlike one Gateway we bought, the Sony keyboard letters have held up very, very well over time and heavy use. In fact, in almost looks new. The Gateway was highly faded after less than two years with relatively moderate use.

Hope that helps....

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183053 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/23/2012 7:22 AM
"It was very helpful that there was encouragement here to go with Windows 8"

Surely you meant Win 7 ;)
B

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183056 of 190816
Subject: Re: Recs for 17 inch laptop? Date: 12/23/2012 12:53 PM
That power cord is indeed in the left hinge. So far, no probs for me, but it would be a b*tch to replace.

Don't know about batteries, haven't bought one.

The "no crapware" option is free with Win 8 pro.

The display is great, the screen is very thin and bendy. That might bother some

Keyboard is great.

Cheers,

Rip

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement