Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5687  
Subject: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/21/2012 11:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Making hummus with red lentils is my new favorite thing. They only take about 15 minutes to cook, unlike chickpeas that you have to soak and then cook for a long time. They also blend up super smooth. The first time I made it I thought I had done something wrong because it was very thin, but it thickened up some in the fridge.

I just replace the chickpeas with an equal amount of cooked lentils, and use my favorite hummus recipes.

DEG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5454 of 5687
Subject: Re: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/22/2012 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How interesting! Thanks for sharing. I recall reading that lentils and split peas were two of the few beans/legumes that didn't require soaking overnight.

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5455 of 5687
Subject: Re: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/22/2012 1:08 PM
Red lentils cook especially fast because they are tiny. It takes longer to let the hummus cool in the fridge than any other part of making it. Just make sure you don't use too much water in cooking them, or if you accidentally do, take the cover off your pot and let the mixture boil a bit to dry out. You want hummus, not soup. (Can you tell I made that mistake once?)

DEG

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5456 of 5687
Subject: Re: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/22/2012 1:49 PM
Thanks for the warning. The times when you ended up with 'hummus soup'-did you strain the lentils after cooking? I bought a set of screen-type sieves--iow they have really tiny holes sorta like a tea leave strainer (found it in the housewares section at Walgreens) and intend to use that next time I make lentils (for any recipe) because they are easily lost down the drain when I use a regular strainer.

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5457 of 5687
Subject: Re: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/22/2012 3:47 PM
The red lentils sort of dissolve in the water and turn into mush. A strainer like that might work, but it would be more like straining yogurt to make cheese than like draining lentils. It would have been easier to just turn the heat up and stir while I boiled off the extra liquid.

DEG

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5458 of 5687
Subject: Re: Red lentil hummus Date: 10/22/2012 5:10 PM
Okay, thanks. The red lentils sound similar to split peas in the 'mush' dept.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement