Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I love bayfishing and I love to eat what I catch. Down here in, most of the folks I know prefer specks or flounder over redfish - that is until they try cooking it my way. First off, I scale them instead of filleting them out of the skin. Then I steak the fish across the backbone and make nice two or three inch steaks with the skin on. Next, keeping in theme with this board - I get a nice fire going in the grill and get it hot. Preparation of the redfish is easy - a little salt, pepper, garlic to the outside (to your taste) and baste the outside with oil (peanut is the best). Next place the steaks on the grill skin side down and cook for about ten minutes depending on how hot the fire is. Then flip to the other side skin side down (remember - this is a steak with the skin on and fish have two sides so you should have another side) and cook the same. I dont cook with the cavity side down cuz the fish will dry out too much. Its perfect with lemon squeezed on it. If you use tartar sauce, make it watery with tabasco first then dip you redfish in it and get ready for a taste explosion. The nice thing about cooking it this way is first of all you can cook it on the grill without it falling apart, second the skin and neural line scrape off with the fork, and third you get that great smoky grilled flavor with the fish and thats what takes redfish over the top. You can also add dill to your tartar sauce and for a real treat, pick some basil from your garden, roll about five leaves, chop them up and sprinkle the fresh basil on your redfish...doc
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement