UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49497  
Subject: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/15/2012 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've read some of the threads here on Job Fairs. Most of them are very old.
Are they worth doing in 2013? Is there any relevance?
What is the best way to maximize the usefulness ?

My situation:
I'm sitting in a good paying job with a bad company with an eroding revenue base. There have been mergers and acquisitions that turned a lucrative job at a great company into a horrible job at a deteriorating company.
The tools are old and the leadership is scared.
Still, I am not desperate. I hate this job with each passing day, but I'm very needed and it is unlikely that I'll be let go anytime soon. So I'm focused on a good, fundamentally sound job search that ends in a great fit for me, regardless of how long it takes.
Thanks!
Ray
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49005 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/15/2012 1:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The value in job fairs is in networking with other candidates waiting in line to speak with the company representative whose eyes glazed over about 50 candidates before you.

Fuskie
Who thinks as long as you understand that the purpose of attending a job fair is not to find a job but to grow your network...

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49006 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/15/2012 1:39 PM
The value in job fairs is in networking with other candidates waiting in line to speak with the company representative whose eyes glazed over about 50 candidates before you.

Fuskie
Who thinks as long as you understand that the purpose of attending a job fair is not to find a job but to grow your network...

I read that in the other threads and it makes sense.
Should I bother applying? I think I want to meet everyone there and grow my network, but I don't hold out hope that it will directly lead to a job, at least right away.
Ray

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49007 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/15/2012 1:44 PM
I've never been, but for an employer it is an easy way to update your collection of resumes of people available in the area.

It can be especially useful if you are looking for people with a highly specific experience base and you get to meet the candidate immediately to judge how well they will fit with your company's needs.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49008 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/15/2012 3:05 PM
I'm sure it won't hurt. Just make sure the current employer isn't at the fair as well. I left a reume with a contract agency at a fair and was contacted a year later.

Fuskie
Who also thinks it doesn't hurt to post you resume on the big resume warehouse web sites in case a recruiter finds you, which is how he started a number of contracts including his current, though be wary of the scamsters that will target you...

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49009 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/16/2012 7:27 AM
Recommendations: 1
I know nothing about job fairs, never been to one.

As for your job...under similar circumstances (good job at fading company), I bugged out at the first good opportunity. I was recruited by a director and a colleague to join the startup they both went to. Worked out well for me. Those who left fading company sooner rather than later, and on their own terms rather than getting laid off, did better in general.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49012 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/17/2012 1:22 AM
Recommendations: 4
That pretty much defines the majority of the unemployed work force.

Fuskie
Who notes that mid-level does not necessarily mean management...

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49013 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/19/2012 12:03 PM
I think job fairs are mostly a waste of time for those looking for a new job.

Here's how you can increase your network in 2012. I'm assuming you're already on LinkedIn - if not get on it and get connected to everyone you know professionally:

Then research companies you'd be intested in. Check out their website to see if they have openings. If they have openings, via LinkedIn check out your connections to see if anyone you know has a connection to those companies - it's better if it's not through someone you know at your current company. If they do, look for recruiters or those in HR. If you can't find people specifically in HR, than still use other contacts at those companies, and via LinkedIn send them an email saying "I'm a collegue of Bob Smith, who you're connected to on LinkedIN. I see your company is hiring for positions XYZ. I'm very interested in speaking with someone at your company, can you either give me the name of someone in HR I can email directly, or pass on my contact information to them".

I used this method to get connected to an internal recruiter at a company I was interested in working at, which led to an interview, and now they want to hire me (but I've put my candidacy on hold for personal reasons).

Author: nomes79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49022 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/22/2012 12:08 AM
Kahuna,
Is it offensive because they were receptionists, because of the liberal linking policy, or some other reason other than the par for the course, open is better model of modern social networking sites?

Author: nomes79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49023 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/22/2012 12:09 AM
To put it another way, kahuna, what SHOULD they be screening for?

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49024 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/22/2012 5:43 AM
To put it another way, kahuna, what SHOULD they be screening for?

Worthiness.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49025 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 11/23/2012 7:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
I have a Linked-In entry that I am trying to remove and TRASH. My dentist's receptionists office tried to link to me -- YUCK, how absolutely offensive.

Your dentist's receptionist works for a highly compensated medical professional - who at some point might be looking to pay for financial advice. And the dentist, probably knows other highly compensated medical professionals. And if the receptionist is trying to link to you, a patient, he/she might be linking to other patients, some of whom might be looking to pay for financial advice one day. Sure, I can see how that's absolute "trash" to a financial professional.

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49030 of 49497
Subject: Re: Redux on Job Fairs Date: 12/13/2012 5:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
I went to the job fair. I felt like the best looking guy at a nerd convention. Desperation was in the air, and there was almost no hiring to be had.

There was a major pharmaceutical corporation there. Not for a good reason.
I stepped up and introduce myself to the 23 year old fresh faced woman and ended up hearing a sales pitch for pharm testing. They pay up to $2000 a week if you are healthy.
Like I said, desperation. I cannot imagine being in a tight spot where I'd let them inject mystery drugs into me - but it is happening.

I met a lot of people and the best angles were from schools and resume critiquing services. I spoke at length with one and will get a free consultation.
I'm glad I went. It won't lead to a job but its a good step to experience while I'm in a job, and looking out of foresight rather than need.
Ray

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement