UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Rent vs Buy Date: 1/29/2004 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Ref Jafo31's # 38823

I'm gonna have to go with Jafo on this one. My current apt is already in a nice area. Toney 'burb of Omaha maybe 3 miles from Warren Buffet's house. It is well built not a cheapie as apartments go. In fact it's the best apartment I have ever lived in from that standpoint. But it is not a concrete soundproof bunker either. And, as someone else suggested, I already am on the tippy--toppiest floor. If I upgrade to a townhome/super ritzy glitzy "Frasieresque" building then the rent becomes the same as house payments and that is a whole new calculus

I have never been impressed by the quality of neighbors in either condos or residential neighborhoods. Excepting the Urban Blightsvilles on one end and the Doctor/Lawyer neighborhoods, and Martha Stewart compounds on the other there is little dfference. One reason I like to rent is IF it gets too bad I can split in a few months, whereas in a home I am stuck. It's all the potential problems of renting with none of the benefits. And all the drags of owning with only a hope of the benefits.

The main quality of life thingies that keep recurring are "noise too close". I think if I had some space, not acres but just a non-connectedness, much of the "environmental stimulation" that gets under my skin would be ameliorated. Also, I hate the care and feeding of houses. So a low maintenence situation is important. Well, also I am cheap so I dont want to pay a lot!

Thanx for all the chiming in. Was nice to talk housing and money instead of politics for awhile
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement