UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 725899  
Subject: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/21/2012 9:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
With just under 34 days until Christmas, the Pope has put a dampener on the festive period by rubbishing the idea that donkeys or any other animal have a place in the traditional nativity scene.

Benedict XVI also claims angels never sang to the shepherds to proclaim Christ birth's - trashing the much-loved carol 'Hark! The herald angels sing' in the process.

From this falsehood the tradition of singing carols was born, the Pope says.

His views are revealed in his latest and last installment of three volumes on the life of Jesus,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236195/New-Jesus-bo...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There is also nothing in the Bible that says they travelled on camels.
And was he born in a manger? Again, according to Matthew 2:11: 'And when they were come into the house,

---

Well, half of Americans know it was a nice bit of fiction designed by the Priest Class to extract time, money, and subservience from the masses. It worked pretty well for 2000 years, but now half of Americans aren't 'religious' any longer.

Of course, the marekteers will play up Santa Claus, Reindeer, Mistletoe, Christmas trees, Christmas lights and displays...and most of all SHOPPING!

the madness starts this Friday with Black Friday.

After all, all those kids are 'entitled' to be showered with piles of gifts, most of which won't be used more than a few hours if that....before being 'stored away' or given away or forgotten...or exchanged.....

Dang...nore donkeys....I mean, if there is no Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer,other flying reindeer, and the rest of the whole bit..... the whole holiday is shot.......

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656306 of 725899
Subject: Re: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/21/2012 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
"Dang...nore donkeys....I mean, if there is no Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer,other flying reindeer, and the rest of the whole bit..... the whole holiday is shot." tele

I was just watching an Andrew Zimmern Bizarre Foods program on the Travel Channel the other day. Andrew was in Beijing and he and this young woman were eating at a donkey restaurant and Andrew was waxing poetic about how delicious the donkey meat was. Made me want to try donkey meat. He talked about how popular donkey meat is in China.

You can call Christmas Saturnalia or Winter Solstice or Hanukkah or Kwanza or Diwali or whatever the heck you want to.... it's all basically the same thing, the return of Sun, marking the shortest day of the year and the subsequent lengthening of daylight. A time to party and celebrate life.

We are so hung up on names and words make such a big deal about things when the truth is that it's the emotion and feelings and "idea" that counts. It's just a name, like the name of God. What you call "It" or "Him" is irrelevant. It's just a label. It's what it represents that's important.

It's like learning a different language, "this" means "this."

Art

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656414 of 725899
Subject: Re: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/21/2012 5:20 PM
With just under 34 days until Christmas...

I am so over Christmas. I totally detest the commercialization. You start seeing things in stores in the middle of October. Places are opening on Thanksgiving Day for an extra buck. Gimme, gimme, gimme, get, get, get. Sickening.

DW and I "spoil" the niece and nephew a little bit, just one present each. But we mostly enjoy spending time with family and playing with the kids.

JLC

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656687 of 725899
Subject: Re: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/23/2012 10:49 PM
Benedict XVI also claims angels never sang to the shepherds to proclaim Christ birth's - trashing the much-loved carol 'Hark! The herald angels sing' in the process.

Heck, I didn't need the Pope to tell me that. Our Pastor in my childhood Baptist church taught us that all the way back in the 1970s... the Bible says the angels "spoke". They didn't sing.

Even so, I like the Christmas carols and other traditions, even if many aren't rooted in pure fact.

After all, all those kids are 'entitled' to be showered with piles of gifts, most of which won't be used more than a few hours if that....before being 'stored away' or given away or forgotten...or exchanged.....

Or broken... tee hee.

Dang...nore donkeys....I mean, if there is no Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer,other flying reindeer, and the rest of the whole bit..... the whole holiday is shot.......

I had a Rudolph sock puppet when I was little. It had a big bright round red nose. My mom used to entertain me by wearing the puppet and talking funny... heh.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656688 of 725899
Subject: Re: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/23/2012 10:53 PM
Recommendations: 0
Of course, the marekteers will play up Santa Claus, Reindeer, Mistletoe, Christmas trees, Christmas lights and displays...and most of all SHOPPING!

Since we have many Ayn Rand fans on the board, I thought I'd share this classic essay, written by her intellectual heir Leonard Peikoff... which tele's post just brought to mind:

Why Christmas Should Be More Commercial

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=51...

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656717 of 725899
Subject: Re: Refining the 'narrative'......xmas.... Date: 11/24/2012 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 0
Since we have many Ayn Rand fans on the board, I thought I'd share this classic essay, written by her intellectual heir Leonard Peikoff... which tele's post just brought to mind:

Why Christmas Should Be More Commercial
----------------

That was interesting, andrew. Giving of gifts can be stressful, though. I guess that's duality. One thing the author mentioned:

"holiday was inherently a pro-life festival of earthly renewal, but the Christians preached renunciation, sacrifice, and concern for the next world, not this one. As Cotton Mather, an 18th-century clergyman, put it: "Can you in your consciences think that our Holy Savior is honored by mirth? . . . "

I've always thought Cotton Mather was a crankybutt. Besides, one of my favorite bits of the New Testament is Jesus and the woman at the well - John 4:4-42. It's not that Jesus wasn't serious - he was, but he was also a bit flirty and funny. At least in the Peter, Paul, adn Mary version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAe8NXq8Lbs

arrete

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement