UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Starrob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1636  
Subject: Reflections on Asia Date: 7/29/2012 6:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Interesting comments on a recent travelers experiences in various places in Asia:

"Just recently returned from a couple of weeks in Asia and ready to pore out my wholly random and pent up thoughts regarding the places I’ve been. Here goes, in chronological order:

1. Shanghai.

The Good: I started my trip in Shanghai, where I went for the tail end of the Shanghai film festival. I skipped Shanghai my last trip to China and I found it good to be back. My sense of Shanghai is that it is China’s easiest city for foreigners. The roads from the airport seem to get better every time and Shanghai’s taxi drivers are generally calm and professional. I also don’t get the sense the drivers are out to kill me when I walk across the street. Shanghai is a great food city and I did my best to realize its potential.

The Bad: Many people are worried about how well foreign movies are doing in China. The thinking is that China’s government is not going to keep letting foreign movies blow away Chinese movies at the box office and eventually may restrict foreign movies even more.

The Really Random: It struck me on this trip that Europeans seem to favor Shanghai over Beijing and the opposite is true of Americans. This may have been due to my having met up with two European lawyers in Shanghai, but I am starting to think it goes beyond that. Am I completely making this up?

2. Bangkok.

The Good: Bangkok is booming economically and if it can deal with its political problems and its pocket of violent Muslim extremists in the South, there is little doubt it will continue to thrive. ASEAN (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam) is going to become one common market by 2015 and many multinationals are already looking to take advantage of this. Singapore will be where the largest and wealthiest of the multinationals set up their ASEAN headquarters, but I see many a smaller company choosing Bangkok because it is so much cheaper, and yet still a fairly easy city for foreigners. I have a friend who lives in a very nice, 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo, right off Wireless Road (one of Bangkok’s nicest areas) and pays only USD$1200 per month. Bangkok even has excellent healthcare. And the food is off the charts incredible, if you (like me) love spicy.

The Bad: Thailand is rightfully proud of its history of withstanding colonization and that means it often does things its own ways. In practical terms, that means Bangkok’s street system is like just about nowhere else. Get used to hot and humid.

The Random: Seems more flights land late at night in Bangkok than anywhere else. I am told not to complain about this because late night landings are the best way to avoid the traffic. As fewer and fewer people continue believing China’s economic growth-line will perpetually point straight up while its costs remain flat, the concept of a China Plus One strategy is gaining considerable currency. ASEAN is becoming the plus one."

cont'd

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2012/07/reflections-on-an-asia-s...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement