Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am self employed and get to deduct my health Ins premiums. I found out last month that they were still charging me for my youngest son although he had turned 19 and was no longer in school and therefore NOT covered. The company refunded me a portion of my payment for all of 2004 and half of 2005 to reflect this. (I didn't even ask, they just did the refund after making sure I got the letter stating the exact date when he was no longer covered.)

I mentioned to my brother (who is ALWAYS right!) that I would have to file an amended return for 2004---He said no, it's a file "as to when you get the cash back" thing.

Is he right this time? Do I add this to 2005's income? Or subtract it from this year's health ins costs? (that doesn't seem right) Or do I amend the 2004 return? (I had deducted the whole premium as I thought it only covered me!)

Thanks, CTKaren
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.