Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Regarding "timing the market", the distinction I like to make is with "ready for events". Once in a while the market will offer a bargain price on a company you have studied, maybe have a small investment in. Knowing that price is a bargain depends upon your independent study of the company.

I always think of timing the market as making a purchase in anticipation of a near-term future move, whereas value investing often involves entering or exiting the market in reaction to a recent (presumably short-term) move. I've seen comments in TMF articles that seem to regard both of these as "timing the market" (the ol' "quality at any price" argument) and the distinction seems to be a ready source of confusion for many.

Ultimately, all you have to know is that "Mr Market" is a bit unstable, have your own reality based valuations, use a margin of safety, and stay cool.

Good advice, as always.

-Richard
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement