Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ibbieta Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35942  
Subject: Re: Poll: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast Date: 7/15/2003 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Regarding the button mashing of lightsaber contests I would almost have to say that this was a non-issue. It takes a while before you even get a lightsaber; the first few levels (which took too long) are pure first-person shooters. Then you get force powers and a quick in-game tutorial.

Once you have the light saber, the game becomes fun. Provided you are not fighting other Jedi with sabers of their own. The force powers and light saber works well against "gun" type opponents and you could use the Force to defeat foes with some clever, or not-so-clever, thinking. Once in a lightsaber duel, though, your best bet would be to usually just use the Force to slow time (or move really fast) and hit a bunch of buttons while trying to face the other Jedi. I remember replaying a couple of duels that were easy the first time but long and hard the second and then easy the third (I didn't save often enough). Luck seemed to play a big part of it.

I voted for you to avoid the game. If you were interested in the saber duels, this game is not for you. There are just not many of them and the duels are decided at random. The early levels you are not even a Jedi so it plays like a pretty weak First-Person Shooter. The level designs fluctuate from great to horrid, sometimes within the same level. There were a few times that I didn't know where to go next and other times where I felt like I was being pulled along by the nose. Even had some jumping puzzles. I hate jumping puzzles.

The good is this is a Star Wars game and you can fight alongside Luke Skywalker (but if you were that much of a Star Wars geek you'd have already played this game). Some of the levels where you fight dozens of Stormtroopers or robots and crush, slice, throw, and basically cut through their ranks like a tank are great fun. If the whole game was like this it would have been easy to recommend.

Ultimately, I finished the game because it was over quick, not because I had a burning desire to.

--ibbieta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement