Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: volchris Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Regular Options Date: 2/10/2000 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I purchased and sold some options in 1999. These sales were not listed on my 1099-B. However, they were included in the informational pages (that list purchases in 1999, etc.) as non-reportable items. As I have a loss, I would like to include the sales on Sched. D, but I'm afraid that might trigger an audit as the Sched. D would then not match the 1099. Any ideas where I can go for further reference (tried the FAQ and old messages)??

Thanks,
volchris
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28172 of 121144
Subject: Re: Regular Options Date: 2/10/2000 12:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The IRS knows that option sales are not reported. Tell the truth. On your schedule D list all the buys and sells with their correct dates. If the sell date is before the buy date, so be it. If you have bought or sold an option and the position was still open as of January 1, that doesn't go on your 1999 report. To list these does not trigger an audit, and if it did, you would go with your informational sheet in hand and no reason to fear. You are following the law. Relax.
Best wishes, Chris

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement