No. of Recommendations: 20
Fabulous:

http://patterico.com/2012/12/01/re-obamacare-when-did-govern...

The ACA and the health-policy industry are betting that new regulation, price controls, effectiveness panels, “accountable care” organizations, and so on will force efficiency from the top down. And the plan is to do this while maintaining the current regulatory structure and its protection for incumbent businesses and employees.

Well, let’s look at the historical record of this approach, the great examples in which industries, especially ones combining mass-market personal service and technology, have been led to dramatic cost reductions, painful reorganizations towards efficiency, improvements in quality, and quick dissemination of technical innovation, by regulatory pressure.

I.e., let’s have a moment of silence.

No, we did not get cheap and amazing cell phones by government ramping up the pressure on the 1960s AT&T. Southwest Airlines did not come about from effectiveness panels or an advisory board telling United and American (or TWA and Pan AM) how to reorganize operations. The mass of auto regulation did nothing to lower costs or induce efficient production by the big three.

When has this ever worked? The post office? Amtrak? The department of motor vehicles? Road construction? Military procurement? The TSA? Regulated utilities? European state-run industries? The last 20 or so medical “cost control” ideas? The best example and worst performer of all…wait for it… public schools?

It simply has not happened. Government-imposed efficiency is, to put it charitably, a hope without historical precedent.
-------------------------------------------------------
I just heard Van Holland on Bret Baiers show arguing this exact point.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, to be fair, the Post Office is pretty damn efficient, and the DMV where I live is a model of efficiency.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Well, to be fair, the Post Office is pretty damn efficient, and the DMV where I live is a model of efficiency.
----------------------------------------------
Post office only lost 15 billion last year, not bad <g>.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Post Office losses were because it was required to send billions of its profits to Washington to fund its own pension obligations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/10/us-usa-postal-loss...

The Postal Service lost $5.1 billion in fiscal year 2011 and was unable to make a massive annual payment for future retiree health benefits, which is required by law. The agency said much of the loss during the second quarter of 2012 came from setting aside funds for the $11.1 billion that is due this year. [...]

The agency has asked Congress to end the retiree health payment requirement, let USPS pull its employees out of federal health programs and run its own plan, scrap Saturday mail delivery, raise rates beyond inflation, and give back a retirement-fund surplus estimated at about $11 billion.

The Senate passed bipartisan legislation last month that would allow the Postal Service to use the retirement-fund surplus to offer retirement incentives, spread out the health benefits payments over a longer time period, and let it end Saturday mail after two years.
But, but.... it's for-> the sheeple!
A while back competition in the electricity market was all the rage. The Republican-controlled Virginia legislature mandated that every customer of Dominion Virginia Power have the option to buy from other competitive sources.

None of these sources ever matched the regulated rate offered by Va Power.

Peter
No. of Recommendations: 1
PeterRabit, I think you're in the wrong country. From here, head due west 11,371 miles to the People's Republic of China. While the electricity may flow faultlessly, you'll be regulated on the very Internet you now use to express your worthless opinion.
CC your worthless opinion.

Which part of my post did you think was opinion?

(LMFAO)

Peter

My DMV too, surprisingly. And they're even friendly and helpful to boot!
"My DMV too, surprisingly. And they're even friendly and helpful to boot!" - andrew

So I'm turning 60 years old in a few months and I got a letter in the mail telling me it's time to renew my driver's license. It says I can either do it online, or by mail, or go down to the DMV. So I'm thinking that I'll just drive down there and take care of it because it's just how my mind works. So I drive a couple of miles to the DMV and get out of my car and open the door and the inside is packed and there's about 10 people standing in lien outside the inner door! Holy crap!

I stand there for about 4 minutes in line, leaning on the wall and my walking stick, no place to sit, and my back is hurting, and I think to myself, "this is insane." So I go sit in my car and take out my checkbook and write a check and put it in the enclosed envelope and seal it and drive a couple of more miles to the main post office and buy a stamp and just send the damn thing in the mail.

When we first moved here a few years ago and I switched my license over I didn't remember it being so crowded? It seems to have gotten worse.
I miss living Maynardville, TN where there were never any lines and you just walked in and stepped up to the counter and they knew me and I could take care of business in a couple of minutes and just walk out the door. There is something to be said for living in a small town.

Art
I miss living Maynardville, TN where there were never any lines and you just walked in and stepped up to the counter and they knew me and I could take care of business in a couple of minutes and just walk out the door. There is something to be said for living in a small town.

Art

That's the way it is here. Most pleasant. And since the courthouse is only a block from my front door I don't even have to drive. I walked over with my huge mail-in election ballot last month and saved $1.44. I love our courthouse. I hope they never tear it down ever. My mother used to work in the basement for the Welfare Office before she moved to a federal job at the Farmer's Administration office above the post office.

It was standing there in all its glory when we moved to Chadron in 1945 and still looks wonderful. A couple years ago the Chamber of Commerce began sponsoring a program where different businesses donate Christmas trees and send staff to decorate them and compete for best tree. I need to get over there and see it this year and make it one of my holiday highlights instead of hiding away. Maybe I will this year. Go inside the courthouse, wander through the Christmas tree forest, enjoy the lights and decorations, the marble floors, the smell of the pine.

Hey Art, speaking of Maynardville, as you were, do you know the song Girl From Knoxville? It is sort of like In the Pines, a haunting tune and tale of an age-old murder. In this song it is the murderer singing:

I met a little girl in Knoxville, a town we all know well
And every Sunday evening, out in her home I'd dwell
We went to take an evening walk about a mile from town
I thought of how she cheated me so I knocked that fair girl down
She fell down on her bended knees, for mercy she did cry
Oh please my dear don't kill me here, I'm not prepare to die

She never spoke another word, I only beat her more
Until the ground around me, with inner blood did flow
I took her by her golden curls, and I dragged her round and round
Throwing her into the river that flows through Knoxville town
Go down, go down you Knoxville girl, with the dark and rovin' eyes
etc.

from The Louvin Brothers' album Tragic Songs of Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMiKeSffns

P. S.
Some history:
"The Knoxville Girl" is an Appalachian murder ballad. It is derived from the 19th century Irish ballad The Wexford Girl, itself derived from the earlier English ballad "The Oxford Girl". Other versions are known as the "Waxweed Girl", "The Wexford Murder". These are in turn derived from Elizabethan era poem or broadside ballad, "The Cruel Miller".

Although the lyrics are less explicit than those for "The Wexford Girl", the song is generally considered to be creepier or spookier in its rendition.
--Wikipedia
That is a really sick song, catmeyoo. I'll keep an ear out for it, because I won't have anything to do with it wheather it's Knoxville or Wexford.

arrete - are there songs like this where women beat up men?
Hey Art, speaking of Maynardville, as you were, do you know the song Girl From Knoxville? It is sort of like In the Pines, a haunting tune and tale of an age-old murder. In this song it is the murderer singing:
--------------------------------------------------------
Hey gattomeyoo, have you ever heard this version of In The Pines by Nirvana? Not sure if i posted it before, it's off Nirvana Unplugged on an MTV special when MTV actually had music on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM

I had Nirvana unplugged and Van Morrison Astral Weeks as our hold music for my last years in business, really kept people holding when i was finishing up a call ;0).
Hey gattomeyoo, have you ever heard this version of In The Pines by Nirvana? Not sure if i posted it before, it's off Nirvana Unplugged on an MTV special when MTV actually had music on:

I love that version, and his Ledbelly comments too, and posted it myself along with a version from the Louvin Brothers not long ago. I think I read something about it being one of the last songs Cobain sang before he died, but that is a little vague, maybe I dreamed it up. In the Pines is one of those songs that sticks in my head but that I don't mind having there at all.

Hey, that reminds me that I ended up buying Nirvana Unplugged in the first place because of something you said about it once--I wonder if I can find what it was in the index. Am going to go look. It might have had something to do with Neil Young--or no, maybe that was a Pearl Jam album. Yes, Mirrorball, you were talking about Mirrorball in that case. It was something else you were talking about that prompted me to get Nirvana Unplugged. Could it have been Eric Clapton? No, I'm thinking of Clapton Unplugged, another album I'd want on my desert island. But nothing to do with Nirvana. Will let you know if I find it. Darn it.
Hey, that reminds me that I ended up buying Nirvana Unplugged in the first place because of something you said about it once--I wonder if I can find what it was in the index. Am going to go look. It might have had something to do with Neil Young--or no, maybe that was a Pearl Jam album. Yes, Mirrorball, you were talking about Mirrorball in that case. It was something else you were talking about that prompted me to get Nirvana Unplugged. Could it have been Eric Clapton? No, I'm thinking of Clapton Unplugged, another album I'd want on my desert island. But nothing to do with Nirvana. Will let you know if I find it. Darn it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm, i'll try to remember. Pearl Jam sings a morbid song too from the past, it may be an Eddie Vedder single though, something about, "where oh where can my baby be, the lord took her away from me,.....yada, yada, got to be good if i wanna see my baby when i leave this world". I know it's a 50's song, i remember hearing the original a few times.

The Mirrorball i have has i think two songs on a cd, "Long Road" is very good.
That is a really sick song, catmeyoo. I'll keep an ear out for it, because I won't have anything to do with it wheather it's Knoxville or Wexford.

First I thought you loved it LOL, "sick" being the new "amazing". They've done a cleaned-up version -- it's a good song. I copied the cleaned up version way below past a song where a young woman murders a young man called "Henry Lee" and sings about it and then threatens to kill a little bird when he refuses to fly down and land upon her knee

I like the more graphic murder version of Knoxville girl myself. "Go down, go down" -- when they sing that it is chilling and beautiful and reminds me of Henry Lee ("get down, get down") who is the young man who gets killed in another Appalachian violent murder song. I especially like this verse:

I can't fly down I won't fly down And alight on your right knee
A girl would murder her own true love Would kill a little bird like me

It is the very first song sung on Harry Smith's famous Anthology of American Folk Music published in the early 50s and influencing Dylan, Seeger, the 60s folk music renaissance, and it is sung by Dick Justice in the late 1920s or very early 1930s.

Henry Lee:

Get down get down little Henry Lee
And stay all night with me
The very best lodging I can afford
Will be far better with thee

I can't get down I won't get down
And stay all night with thee
For the girl I have in that merry green land
I love far better than thee

She leaned herself against the fence
Just for a kiss or two
With a little pen knife held in her hand
She plugged him through and through

Come all you ladies in the town
A secret for me keep
With a diamond ring held on my hand
I'll never will forsake

Some take him by his lily white hand
Some take him by his feet
We'll throw him in this deep deep well
More than one hundred feet

Lie there lie there loving Henry Lee
Till the flesh drops from your bones
The girl you have in that merry green land
Still waits for your return

Fly down fly down you little bird
And alight on my right knee
Your cage will be the purest gold
In deed of property

I can't fly down I won't fly down
And alight on your right knee
A girl would murder her own true love
Would kill a little bird like me

If I had my bended bow
My arrow and my sling
I'd pierce a dart so nigh your heart
Your warble would be in vain

If you had your bended bow
Your arrow and your sling
I'd fly away to the merry green land
And tell what I have seen
==========================================================end

And, here is the cleaned-up Girl from Knoxville version
KNOXVILLE GIRL

The fog rolls in the morning
I can hardly find my way
Home to where the heart is
tThe words can't begin to say

Enough about the gentle way
You always take me in

Long and narrow winding road's

Got to take me home again

CHORUS

Go down, go down
Knoxville girl

With that dark and rovin' eye

Go down, go down

Knoxville girl

'Cause I know

You'll never be my bride

I met a little girl in Knoxville town

A town that I knew well

Feelin' good like I should

And to her love I felt

Time was long she lay there by my side

Held me close within her arms

And kept me statisfied

So on it goes and no one knows

Why heartache never ends

Above all that you will get
Exactly what it lends

Time has come to steal my love from me

In this pain I will remain

And sing this misery
The Mirrorball i have has i think two songs on a cd, "Long Road" is very good

True sailing is dead
Catmeyoo asks, "Hey Art, speaking of Maynardville, as you were, do you know the song Girl From Knoxville?"

Oh my God that's horrible! And no I've never heard it before. It's so sad. Now I'll have a difficult time getting it out of my head. It's a wonder any woman ever trusts any man, especially after listening to that song.

Art
Hmmmm, i'll try to remember --2828

I found it--it was from a thread gurdison started in 2004, 8 years ago. For heaven's sake. About favorite music and albums. Gurdison started with a great post about Class of '55 from Sun Records featuring Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash. You had just bought Countryside by Cracker. Later on you were talking about the last song on Nirvana Unplugged , Where Did You Sleep Last Night, the variant title of In the Pines, and how it was your favorite song on the album and it was a good album and about Leadbelly. I was carrying on about Ray Charles and his Modern Sounds in Country and my devotion to Emmylou and lord knows what all (my posts were too long to bother to read as usual <g> and especially to reread). Get this--you also talk about Dave Brubeck and "Take Five". How's that for serendipity. Some others mentioned--Joni Mitchell, Harry Chapin, Van Morrison, Steve Earle, the Byrds, Waylon and Willie, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, more more more

And so on Anyway, I got a lot of good references from that thread at the time and love the albums I bought as a result.

http://boards.fool.com/ot-musical-favs-20542914.aspx?sort=wh...

One last thing for no good reason--Billy Ray Cyrus was a guest on Andy Cohen's Watch What's Happening last night. He has his hair and beard exactly like Waylon Jennings did in his later years. It was actually quite becoming, much better than that long thing (I forget the name) down his back he used to wear. I thought Waylon got more handsome every day the older he got, even when he was ill later on. Billy Ray looks better now that he is older too. People have always made a lot of fun of Billy Ray but I like him. Someone may try to tell me what a jerk he is and I say back at yah. We like who we like.
"It was actually quite becoming, much better than that long thing (I forget the name) down his back he used to wear." - catmeyoo

Mullet? Short in the front and long in the back. Mullets were funny as heck! Mostly strange rednecky types sported them.

I had long hair in the early 70's for a while. Not really me. After I got married I started wearing it a bit shorter. It's a lot more comfortable.

Art
Mullet? Short in the front and long in the back. Mullets were funny as heck! Mostly strange rednecky types sported them. -- Art

Mullet! Yes, that's it. Thank you!

Here's Billy Ray in his, ugh (if this link works)
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/11/11/1111-billy-ray-mullet-cre...

I would show you how much better he looked in his Waylon cut but I can't find a picture. Andy's other guest was Carmen Electra and she was all over poor Billy Ray. I mean, it was shameful <g>. I do love Andy's late night half hour show 5 nights a week and think it great fun. You can watch part 2 at Bravo's web site but I have not yet gotten to that state yet. It may still come.
I found it--it was from a thread gurdison started in 2004, 8 years ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Holy cow! It seems like yesterday that thread now that i read it again.
Advertisement