UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoelXX One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Reinvesting my IRA Date: 9/12/1999 2:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA that I, understandably, don't want to lose and, although I'm betting that Y2K isn't going to bring us too many problems, especially in the financial markets, I still want to be careful. My IRA hasn't been moved from mutual funds to stocks as I'm new to the Fool and am trying to make an informed choice. I am thinking of starting with the Foolish Four. Would it make any sense to roll my IRA into a money fund with a discount broker and let it sit there over the end of 1999, or is it subject to the same problems of a fully invested portfolio? Also, it's only September so I don't know whether I should stay in mutual funds intil December and move then, or simply invest now in the Foolish Four and take what comes. For any ideas, thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: UMsprite Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13876 of 74759
Subject: Re: Reinvesting my IRA Date: 9/13/1999 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I too have my Roth IRA invested in the FF. From what I've gathered elsewhere on the site, it is best to begin the FF in mid-late December. But, you can start it at other times of the year and re-adjust in December of the following year. This is what I chose to do - began in July 1999 and hold until Dec 2000. It's best not to let your money sit in a money market account at you're new broker for any length of time. Whether you decide to roll it over immediately or wait until November (or sooner, I have no idea how long the process takes) is up to you. It might be best just to wait for the December start of the new FF year since it is mid September (and maybe pick up some bargins as the Wise and their followers abandon stocks for Y2K?!). Either way, don't let you money sit for 3 months - it doesn't need a vacation, it needs to work for you!

UMsprite

Author: zgriner Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13889 of 74759
Subject: Re: Reinvesting my IRA Date: 9/14/1999 1:34 AM
What you choose to do for Y2K is your choice, depending on how paranoid or uncertain you are.

As for me, I will be cashing my F4 stocks early in December and wait until the end of December to reinvest. I will let next year bring what it may.

Yes, I will be doing the verboten timing thing, but I figure that anything that sounds like a Y2K problem will set the market off. As such I have chosen to be proactive (a euphemism for timing, and it sounds so much better).

Zev

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement