Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Ramsees Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11  
Subject: REIT Date: 1/16/2001 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Just read today's article on REITs, anyone had success with them?

Ramsees
Print the post Back To Top
Author: md29 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 11
Subject: Re: REIT Date: 1/26/2001 12:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes I have. REITS had a fall in 98, but came back fairly strong. You have many options with REITS from office properties to hotels to shopping malls. I use the buy what you know philosophy. You can probably find properties in your area that are REITS. Most good REITS give great site maps. When I lived in Seattle I could drive around and actually see the properties I invested in. Full parking lots are only a small indication of financial health, but it does show that people are going to these properties to work, live, or shop. Plus the dividend yields are great. You can choose between growth REITS with modest yields. Or invest with REITS that have high yields. Beware of high yields though. Some companies cannot support them if things get rough. REITS are a great way to balance against tech. Positive yield cash flow makes things better when your favorite tech takes it in the shorts.
Many DRIP REITS also have no fees. purchasing is free and dividend reinvestment is free. I consider myself fairly aggresive, but REITS will be in my portforlio unless something drastically changes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but I have done a little homework.

MD29

Author: katrinalarsen Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 11
Subject: Re: REIT Date: 2/14/2001 1:45 AM
More success than I've had with anything else, including marriage.

I like Summit Properties - thy just won the prize for being the most desirable place to live. I like Weingarten; bought it for my husband's IRA.

Sometimes, as in the case of UDR, I buy the preferred and pretend it's a bond. Kentucky has intangibles tax on bods, but not stocks or mutual funds.

I own UDR common as a drip as well. Just bought 200 shares of Kimco (KIM) preferred b to replace a bond I had at 7-something that was called. UDR-b pays over 8%.

Author: CoyoteMoney One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 11
Subject: Re: REIT Date: 2/16/2001 2:57 PM
I saw the same article and must say that REITs are intruiging. Since land is something you can't really make more of, REITs would seem like a nice place to park my money while I work up the courage to try riskier investments. But then again, if SKT produces dividends like this consistently, I might just keep it.

Disclosure: I have not made any real estate related investments yet (except my home!).

CoyoteMoney,
Looking for a few good FOOLS.

Author: katrinalarsen Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 11
Subject: Re: REIT Date: 3/27/2001 5:58 AM
Did you all notice that SKT has issued $100 million in seven-year non-callable notes at 9.25%?

Also was encouraged by their hookup with AAA. Shoppers love coupons and rebates.

Not so encouraged by their real estate sales loss, but mall locations go in and out of fashion. I've watched it happen here in Kentucky.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement