UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: smurf30073 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8  
Subject: REIT or Royalty Trust in IRA Date: 8/25/2001 10:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does any one know of any reason that a REIT or Royalty Trust should
not be held in an IRA.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 8
Subject: Re: REIT or Royalty Trust in IRA Date: 8/29/2001 5:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm looking into the same issues ------ supposedly there are tax issues but I have not gotten the info to review yet. If and when I get the info I'll pass it on - hope you'll do the same.

Good luck

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 8
Subject: Re: REIT or Royalty Trust in IRA Date: 8/31/2001 11:40 PM
Well, I've gotten some information but i cannot say I completely understand the full extent of the tax ramifications ----- royalty trusts are a form of limited partnership. I believe the taxation situation would mirror that for master limited partnerships - where taxable income/loss is distributed and is reported via a K-1 form. Within an IRA, the income earned has to be related to the status of the account ---- so investment income is tax-exempt. However, income generated from the operation of a business can be considered as unrelated to the exempt status of the account. In essence, the income is treated as unrelated business taxable income. Exempt accounts can generate up to $1000. per year in unrelated business taxable income without tax but beyond $1000 the account would be required to pay taxes at corporate rates.

you probably want to check this with a tax accountant but I think there may be other investments that may make more sense in an IRA.

If your looking for income with a degree of tax-deferral outside of an IRA, this looks intriguing.

Good luck

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement