Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: avjo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 974  
Subject: relaistic budget for baby2b? Date: 10/13/2006 1:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, Expecting out first in late March 2007. I was just trying to run through some scenerios to figure out what can expect to add to our budget for expenses once the new baby is here. Hope to stay at home
(It does not include any regular budget items, just things I that are baby related :)

Per Month: @
(increase in health insurance) premium: 100 month @
diapers $100
breastfeeding costs $25? (I have no idea!)
copays/rx - to be safe $100
new life insurance 100
baby toys and books/clothes/stuff (ex more laundry detergent etc) 100
increase in food costs 100
baby college fund 100
-----------------------------
comes to: $725 a month

I know I am off, because it all shouldnt be $100! per category I wouldn't think but just wanted to get some insights so I can tweak it

TIA!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bookaholic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 958 of 974
Subject: Re: relaistic budget for baby2b? Date: 10/13/2006 8:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I think some of that is a bit high. Try cloth diapers for one thing. You can always use disposables for going out of the house and/or at night if you want to. If you use mostly cloth diapers, I doubt you will spend $100 per month washing them. Estimate one small washer load per day. I washed mine in warm water with a drop of bleach. I didn't even soak them--just rinsed them in the toilet sometimes if they were really nasty, kept them in a covered bucket and dumped them straight from the bucket into the washer.

And, baby laundry is not that big a deal if you stock up on lots of yard-sale or consignment onesies and t-shirts so that you don't have to wash every day. Babies also don't have to wear clean clothes all the time. You can wash their clothes every couple of days, and just throw them in the laundry with all the other things unless your baby shows some sensitivity to detergent. (Using minimal detergent and setting the washer for an extra rinse cycle can help with that, too.)

I'm not sure breastfeeding costs $25 extra per month, either. What would be paying for, exactly? More food for mom? But you have food down as a separate category. Once baby starts to eat solids, other than baby cereal for when they are starting out, you don't have to buy anything special for them. Just mash up whatever you are eating for dinner, for the most part.

Good on you for budgeting for a college fund right from the start. I sure wish we had done that!

bookaholic

Author: Fers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 959 of 974
Subject: Re: relaistic budget for baby2b? Date: 10/14/2006 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
Definitely consider cloth diapers. I found them to be so much nicer than plastic. I used a diaper service than came twice a week, mainly because I worked full time when my kids were babies.

Why a life insurance policy for a child? I never understood that. I'd put 200 a month away for college. Now that my 17 year old is applying to universities, I wish we had put away more!

Also, are the schools in your area good? My boys did well in the public schools, but we ended up putting our daughter into private. One never knows..

Best,

Jen

Author: 6Bitsadollar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 960 of 974
Subject: Re: relaistic budget for baby2b? Date: 10/14/2006 9:52 PM
(increase in health insurance) premium: 100 month @

You should be able to nail this down fairly closely. Ask the personnel department if you are covered through an employer or call the company if you are buying it directly. In our case, a family policy covers
DH and me and DD for the same cost as though it were just DH and me or
DH, me and 10 kids. He would save money if he were the only insured on the policy. Of course, you have to send in the info to add each child.

new life insurance 100
Is this a policy for the child--like the Gerber program or for you and/ or DH. You can probably shop this around. If you are a SAHM you should probably have insurance on yourself.

breastfeeding costs $25? (I have no idea!)-This depends. You will need some nursing bras. Consider a breast pump if you want DH to relieve you
Also you need a few bottles. A manual pump is pretty cheap; you can comparison shop online.

I am glad you are already thinking ahead to college. We sent both DS and DD to private school. DS went to a state university for undergrad and that was about equal to paying for 4 more years of private school.
He worked and got a few loans for grad school and has paid them off.
DD got one of the few merit scholarships for full tuition
at a very expensive private university plus she received a national merit scholarship for $2500 along with some local scholarships.
There is, I think, a discussion board about paying for college. You might want to check it out.

Molly

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement