Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Related question-- we currently own about $100K in eleven dividend stocks. Historically we just had mutual funds, but I am getting more interested in direct investing now.

I am torn-- we like the convenience of index mutual funds, and I have two young kids and a husband who gets home late. But it seems like the fund managers have to buy and sell when the investors demand it, even if it's not a good time. And when I want to take a little money out of the market, I think it might be better to sell individual stocks rather than selling $20K of whatever the fund is, because then I'm selling all of the market as opposed to $7K of stock ABC...

I'm just musing, really. How do I make the transition to stock investor from being a mutual fund investor? I don't have the time or energy to be constantly researching the minutiae on a million things-- how many stocks make a good-sized portfolio as far as diversity?

thanks
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement