Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In '99, I relocated from WI to IL and my husband from WI to ME (for our jobs). On our '99 taxes, the accountant itemized $845 moving expenses from WI to ME only (the $845 covered just the cost of my husband driving from WI to ME, not household belongings). My company paid all of my moving expenses, so none of that was deducted. We owned our home in WI until 3/00; the bulk of our belongings were in storage in WI. After the home was sold, we decided to settle in ME. The total cost for this move was approximately $7,000. Is this deductible? Do we need to amend the '99 return and roll the $845 into the total cost of the move for '00? I do not have a job in ME, so this move was for my husband's job.

Although neither of us lived or worked in WI in '00, we did own a home there (until 3/00). Do we need to file as part-year resident's in WI?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.